Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Resizing Photos

I have resized photos for the web many times but it is always kind of a hit or miss thing. I have tried various programs and lately I've been using Elements 7 "Save for web". My question today is; "Is there is a quicker, easier way to resize photos for the forum galleries?" It's not that photoshop is that hard to use, even with me being a "newbie" to the program. I am just thinking out loud. With all the experience out there, there must be somebody with all the answers!

11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To my knowledge, that is one of the best ways. Compared to other programs I've used, such as gimp, Photoshop has done a much better job of squeezing the maximum quality out of a relatively small filesize.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Irfanview

Well, of course there is. It's Irfanview, download it through their website along with the plugins pack.I have used it for every photo ever resized. It's quick and hassle-free, and allows batch conversion AND allows you to set the output file size.
11-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sir, the best one I found is a free program called Visualizer Photo Resize. Have been using it for the last 4 to 5 years with great results. Can also batch rezize. Google it, download and enjoy.

11-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could try fastone.org which I have only used for viewing PEFs on the netbook during travel. It's free.
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should keep me busy....

Thanks guys.. I downloaded the Irfanview program to try out for now. It seems pretty straight-forward so far. I just resized this photo of Cosmo, our puppy, with it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #7

I user fastone as it allows to batch resize, add a frame, crop etc.
I always have doubts about which interpolation to apply - I use bicubic because it's the default. What interpolation gives the best results?

11-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use Picasa for everything I upload to the web. I choose the photos I want to upload and click on "export" and the pop up window lists the different resizing choices. It's about the simplest method I have found. I then upload my photos from the Picasa Exports folder. The original photo remains untouched.
11-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
I have resized photos for the web many times but it is always kind of a hit or miss thing. I have tried various programs and lately I've been using Elements 7 "Save for web". My question today is; "Is there is a quicker, easier way to resize photos for the forum galleries?" It's not that photoshop is that hard to use, even with me being a "newbie" to the program. I am just thinking out loud. With all the experience out there, there must be somebody with all the answers!
For images I upload to Flickr I use Image -> Resize (am assuming elements has this) and set the longest side to 1024, and then save at the highest quality into a different name.

An easy way for Windows users is the Power Toy Resizer clone from sourceforge - there is a 64-bit version as well:

Image Resizer PowerToy Clone for Windows | Download Image Resizer PowerToy Clone for Windows software for free at SourceForge.net

I use that for images for a friend's website.
11-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've made Actions in Photoshop for various sizes that I tend to use. For example, if I want to resize a batch of photos to 1024x768, I will pull up that action, and set the Automate feature of Photoshop to run that action for the specific folder of pictures that I need to resize. Just remember to designate another separate folder for the resized images. You don't want to overwrite the large files with smaller ones.

If I am just resizing a few photos at a time, I will do it through Lightroom.
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Another vote for Faststone. It is free, quick and permits resizing to any size or to preset sizes automatically. Very simple to use.