Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #1

Converting Raw-Files with Aperture, or better software?

Hello everyone.

I´ve been using Aperture to convert my Raw-files since i got my K-x (well, i export them as jpegs, is that even converting?)

But i see a lot of people using other converters? Are they significantly better than Aperture, or is it simply a preference of others?

Thanks,

11-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stlind Quote
Hello everyone.

I´ve been using Aperture to convert my Raw-files since i got my K-x (well, i export them as jpegs, is that even converting?)

But i see a lot of people using other converters? Are they significantly better than Aperture, or is it simply a preference of others?

Thanks,
I would say preference but I haven't tried any of the others. And what you are doing is converting! There is some free helpful stuff about Aperture over here: http://aperture.maccreate.com/.

Last edited by Fries; 11-08-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added a link
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think finding the right software tool for RAW processing is a balancing of technical strengths with functional capabilities. Do you want a tool that excels in technical rendering only? Or is asset management important? Do you like easy-to-learn interfaces that adhere to Macintosh guidelines?

Aperture may not reveal the details within shadowed areas to the extent that say Raw Developer (only for Mac) does, but its cataloging is much stronger and its user interface is more enjoyable to work with. That matters a lot when you look at all the time you spend using the thing. Also, the amount of improvement RAW Developer (or other software, this is just an example) imparts may be very minor.

How large are your prints?

I use Lightroom primarily these days, but I think Aperture and all the other tools are capable of performing equally well or better. The real work is bearing down and learning how to use the software expertly.

M