Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
real silkypix

QuoteOriginally posted by boardhead Quote
My understanding was that SilkyPix is responsible for the Pentax software. I also understand that they produce their own software, but I was talking about the Pentax version.

No, assuming it's the same situation as the old pentax photo lab software, DCU4 uses the raw conversion engine provided by ISL (who make silkypix), but it's own design of gui, and if DCU4 is anything like PPL it gives real silkypix a very bad name.

full silkypix is a very well featured raw conversion program, two versions available : DS4 and DSPro, see SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- For beautiful photos.

K5 and 645D supported : SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- Supported cameras

02-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I too have experienced this problem. I run Mac Os 10.6.6 and I installed the 4.3 version of the software. To get it right I also tried to update to version 4.31. Always the same result, a complete hang of the program when I start it. Why is this a problem then? Well no 1 the software is included in the package that came with my K-5 and I believe that in order to get the most out of my camera I need the software. I know based on experience from my old K10D that noise reduction and other developing parameters are optimized using the fabricators software. No 2 No other program supports conversion of K5 PEF files. DNG conversion is a compromise. No 3. I'm really tired of the industry in general getting away with poorly tested software that hard working people shall have to find work arounds to them selves. No 4 If I remember correctly you are supposed to be able to use your computer as a viewfinder with the DCU 4.x. So I have been putting this to the test and I'm trying to get the swedish vendor to either get me some software that does the job properly or that they take the camera back and refund me wholly. So far I have not been successful. I have received a silly reply that the software is compatible with my OS. This is already stated on the K-5 box! Next reply is that pentax will send me a new CD in case there is something wrong with the CD!!! They could not direct me to a website for the proper version??

Regards sincerely dissapointed K5 user
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bultkrans Quote
DNG conversion is a compromise.
I don't think I'd call it a compromise. I don't think you loose anything using DNG. Except perhaps Makers Notes info about the lens used for the shot.

DCU, SilkyPix Pro 4 and the PhotoMe EXIF viewer are the only packages I have on my PC that can read the Maker Notes in a PEF.

My freeware browser/limited packages (XNView, FastStone) can read and convert PEF, using their DCRAW component, but they don't allow any raw-level adjustment, so I never use them for that purpose. They can't read Maker Notes correctly and XnView (don't know about FastStone) does not interpret the K20D's total shots taken count correctly. (I can get that easily enough from PhotoMe.)

PaintshopPro X can't handle K20D PEF, but it's using a non-configurable raw converter, so I prefer to convert in SP Pro first. So I don't worry about setting DNG in the K20D just to suit PSP X.

DNG in the K20D does have a weakness: it's bigger than PEF because it uses no lossless compression. This is no longer the case in the K-5 & K-7.

The only time I've needed to use DNG, I actually did so after the shot. I was using the PhotoAcute software which can't handle PEF. PhotoAcute seamlessly invoked the free version of Adobe ACR, which it first asked me to download and install, to convert the PEF to DNG before proceeding, so all I really lost was some time.

I think the Mac version of SP Pro 4 must be stable, because the host of www.silkypixforum.com is a Mac user. Why don't you ask there.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-13-2011 at 01:10 PM.
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vil Quote
Why not just shoot in DNG instead of PEF - at least until the K-5 PEF is supported? What's the downside other than file size?
Iīve tried this and it works but the software I use is Aperture 3.0 and the latest pentax supported is K-7. I just could not reach the low noise peaks as I believe is possible with PEF conversion. The DNG conversion algorithm is most likely an old one and therefore I donīt get the maximum out of it. Why should we have to wait? Why cannot Pentax deliver a complete solution as promised? I believe lightroom supports K-5 now.