Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Small Laptop

Hi
I’m taking most of my pictures when i travel
I think that the next big step to improve my images will be to get a laptop that i could use to sort files, note adjustment for the next day and make some basic modification with photoshop. I could do all of this once i get home, but i think that the results will be better if i do everything the same day (at the hotel).

So i’m looking for a small laptop with a great 13’’ screen and the basic feature that could run Photoshop.

The problem that i have is that hard to judge online what will be the quality of the screen.... and all the small affordable laptop that i could find in my local stores have disappointing screen quality.

The only one that is kind of making sense is the mac Book pro.... but it’s a mac (i’m a PC).... and it’s at the higher end of my budget.

So i will appreciate if someone could point me to an interesting model.

Thanks for your help

Ben

11-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the HP 3122 Mini Nano for uses like that - but no, I didn't use Photoshop (prefer GIMP in such circumstances, where processing power is limited), to discard obviously useless photos. The Mini Nano is cheap, and runs well - even better if you install latest Ubuntu OS.

A rugged little computer, as made for travelling! At home I have a laptop Dell, which is just too heavy to bring along, and the stationary stuff is iMac :-)! The Dell has excellent specs, but is least used! You figure :-(!
11-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Most laptops do not have very good screens for photo editing (or even viewing, really) such as an IPS panel. In general, you can get some good screens if you're willing to spend around $2K and get a larger laptop (15" at least). Lenovo and HP are good candidates for this. I was shopping for one last spring, but ended up getting a certified-used IBM/Lenovo T60p 15" for about $500 instead - it was the last model to have an IPS screen until recently. Only weeks later the new MacBook Pros came out - I might have purchased one of those instead, but I'm happy with what I got. I already had some accessories for it and I saved some money by buying it. They sold out the T60p within a few weeks of my purchase and I haven't noticed them since.

Although I've always been a PC user, I would guess the the Apple is still the better screen right now. I think you should just break down and get an Apple unless you can find an alternative like I did. For photos, the screen is more important than the brand or the platform. However, I believe the previous generation MacBook Pro screens were inferior, so you'd want the latest one. But, believe me - no one wants to put a good screen in an affordable PC laptop - I looked. They seem to think the market is too price sensitive.

By the way, if you do go with Windows, I highly recommend Fast Picture Viewer - it's an absolutely essential tool for me, since I take so many digital images. And they update their RAW file compatibility for many popular brands - including Pentax - relatively quickly.

Last edited by DSims; 11-12-2010 at 12:28 AM.
11-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My girlfriend just treated herself to the new 11 inch macbook air. The screen is phenomenal. Sharp, bright, lots of contrast. I viewed some of my pictures on it and
couldn't believe the difference compared to my old Dell laptop that I normally use.
Some online reviews have also praised the macbook air screen quality.

There's also a 13 inch macbook air.

Regards,
--Anders.

11-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I just checked the Lenovo website and the prices look slightly lower than 6-8 months ago, but probably still higher than you want. Nevertheless, the good one is the W510, here:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/speci...filter=Usage_1

The screen you'd want is this:

15.6" FHD Display (95% Gamut, 270nit) with LED Backlight

Currently it's an extra $250 for the screen. Note that you can also get a Pantone Color sensor (I believe it's built in) for another $70. The next model up is even wilder - it offers a built-in Wacom tablet and dual screens (I'm not joking!) as well! I don't know of anyone else that offers this much in a laptop for photographers.

Edit: I noticed Lenovo is also offering this screen in the T510 now, which is a few hundred dollars less - I don't think they did before. So it's possible to get a laptop with a nice screen for around $1300. This all assumes you don't mind a larger 15.6" laptop. This is likely the best screen you can get for anywhere around this price, but that MacBook Air sure does look interesting!

Last edited by DSims; 11-12-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added information regarding T510
11-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
go mac and don't look back

FWIW the mac will run windows (I have mine dual-booted), which makes the switch easier. Windows Vista was the final straw for me, and I must say I'm much happier with the mac, although there are some scientific programs I use that are windows only (hence the dual boot). My advice is definitely go the mac route, you won't regret it and you lose nothing.
11-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a Toshiba Portege R705 and I'm pretty pleased with it. The display seems pretty good but that wasn't a really high priority for me. I've loaded FastStone on it so I can use it to view and cull photos but I don't plan on doing any serious pp with it.

11-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently use a MacBook which is four years old, does what you want and has been around the world. Looking seriously at the Air model as it supposedly has the best battery life for those 8-12 hour flights. Running Windows apps is a no brainer.