Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Changing hair color in LR

Just wondering about hair color adjustment in Lightroom. If I've got a picture of someone and they've got some gray hair, can it be touched up in Lightroom, or is this beyond it's ability? I know there is a color adjustment brush, but I've not been able to figure out how to use the color selection tool to allow me to select a color I want to sample from in the picture, only able to select from what comes up in the color selection box.

11-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a problem for me too. After much research and trying on my own, I don't think this lies within the tool's capabilities. The closest is to paint with exposure or brightness turned down, but it's easy to then generate speckled noise artifacts.

Great question though!

M
11-14-2010, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
I don't have lightroom myself, but a quick google turned up this:
QuoteQuote:
You can sample a color from your photo by clicking the color swatch to open the Color Picker, then click inside the Color Picker and drag out onto your photo, release the mouse button when you are over the desired color
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Cool. I'll have to try that. Seems silly that you couldn't just pick a color from the picture, but maybe that work around will work. I'll let you know.

11-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, LightRoom is not really designed for those types of modifications.
You'll really want to look into PhotoShop, Elements, GIMP, etc... You'll save a lot of sanity using a tool that better fits this purpose. :-)
11-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, tried it without success.
It's an easy Photoshop in and out task with Lightroom, but using a single tool is preferred.

M
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Best thing you can do in LR, if you do not want to use another tool is the Spot brush.
Resize it really small and stamp out multiple "spots" to cover the area you need.

You could try other methods but as you found, it usually ends up in munged pixles nearby.
You can try turning off Auto Mask, if on. This will reduce the possibility of random looking sections of pixels being left out.

Again, to save your sanity, look into using another full-featured tool.
Lightroom is great. It has eliminated my need to use Photoshop 90% of the time... but Lightroom is not an all-in-one stop for photo editing.

11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I gave it a try, and it did work. It did require me to turn down the saturation of the original color, otherwise it would bleed through. Not perfect, but I think for what I was wanting, it would work. See examples. I used the eyes for my color sample. Obviously quick & dirty, but it did work. This was also from a JPG, so RAW may work even better.

11-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I can sample true colors from the image, but it's the black I really need. Have you been able to sample that color? I find the tool doesn't take when I click on a black-colored part of an image.

M
11-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Yes, I can sample true colors from the image, but it's the black I really need. Have you been able to sample that color? I find the tool doesn't take when I click on a black-colored part of an image.

M
You appear to be correct. Black or white didn't seem to work to well.
11-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You should be able to do it to some extent using the adjustment brush, You will probably need to de-saturate and adjust contrast, as well as darkening the hair.