Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LIGHTROOM 3 ISSUES...Help!

Probably the coolest new feature on LR3 is the TETHERING capabilities.

Not just the smooth direct transitioning of photos into LR3, but the awesome ability to shoot live shots directly onto the computer screen while connected to laptop or desktop. This possibility gave me wood!

Problem is, the program doesn't seem to recognize Pentax cameras OR lenses. It blanked on both my Kx and *ist DL...Did not even give PENTAX as a choice for Manual Setup!

Eureka! I think I just discovered the photographer's equivalent of WATERBOARDING. This is TORTURE.

Then again, it could be me. If so, any ideas?

11-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is that Pentax doesn't tether. Not sure why, but they don't. I've never tried, so I can't say this 100% sure.
11-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd advise that you take a cold shower and skip the waterboarding exercise.
eccs19 is spot on: this camera don't do tethering. Last one that did was the K20D. It's one big bugaboo that is discouraging me from purchasing the K-5. It tells you who Pentax cameras are aimed at these days.

You also won't find many lens profiles either--too bad, it's a powerful feature I use all the time with my Canon gear.

M
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The only in-built LR3 tethering support is for Nikon, Canon and some Leica, if I remember correctly (because Leica bundle LightRoom with some of their cameras).

Olympus, Hasselblad, Phase One, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Pentax miss out.

No-one should lapse immediately into 'Pentax is doomed' mode about this (as people tend to do on these forums). Pentax isn't the only brand that lacks LR3 tethering support.

11-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lacking LR3 tethering support is one thing; lacking total tethering capability is far more of an issue, and that's the camp Pentax falls into. For the cost of a K-5, I would have expected this to be included.

BTW, you can tether some current Olympus and Sony DSLRs.

So perhaps a more accurate statement is that "Pentax is the only DSLR brand that lacks tethering support."

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The only in-built LR3 tethering support is for Nikon, Canon and some Leica, if I remember correctly (because Leica bundle LightRoom with some of their cameras).

Olympus, Hasselblad, Phase One, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Pentax miss out.

No-one should lapse immediately into 'Pentax is doomed' mode about this (as people tend to do on these forums). Pentax isn't the only brand that lacks LR3 tethering support.
M
11-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote

So perhaps a more accurate statement is that "Pentax is the only DSLR brand that lacks tethering support."

M
And if you look at their present marketing strategy (such as they have one) you might figure out why.
11-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Aggravating

Thanks guys for clarifying this issue.

What should I get rid of...the Kx or the LR3.2?

I'm just gonna get more PO'd every time I open it up.

11-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you would want to ditch either the K-x or LR3.

LR 3.2 totally supports the K-x RAW files, and does an EXCELLENT job rendering K-x images. I have been very impressed with LR3.2. Using LR3.2 as an image manager and RAW convertor makes perfect sense.

If you want one-way tethering to work (ie take photo, have it turn up in LR3 automatically), rather than two-way tethering (view camera images plus control camera from LR3), it may be possible to have one-way tethering work via using an eye-fi card and LR's 'monitored folder' feature.

Either way, Pentax is said to be working on tethering support for the 645D. It may then trickle down to other models like the K-5 and perhaps even reach entry-level cameras like the K-x.

lacking total tethering capability is far more of an issue, and that's the camp Pentax falls into
That has by no means been established by anyone. The capability may be there (ie good PTP support in the firmware) but the applications just haven't been written yet.

BTW, you can tether some current Olympus and Sony DSLRs.
But not in LR3, which the discussion here is all about.

Last edited by rawr; 11-19-2010 at 12:33 AM.
11-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chefpete1 Quote
Thanks guys for clarifying this issue.

What should I get rid of...the Kx or the LR3.2?

I'm just gonna get more PO'd every time I open it up.
If tethering via Lightroom is so important to you that you just can't live without it, then find a camera that is supported and switch systems.
It's a pretty easy solution to a pretty simple problem.
11-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i can understand why tethering wouldn't be an option with kx/kr (definitely not aimed at pros) but am baffled by the fact it isn't available on k7/k5/645D - particularly the 645D as every single competing camera offers the feature. I know the 645D is intended more as a field camera than a studio camera (as were the film versions) but somehow i think most pros buying it would want this feature at least occasionally
11-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i can understand why tethering wouldn't be an option with kx/kr (definitely not aimed at pros) but am baffled by the fact it isn't available on k7/k5/645D - particularly the 645D as every single competing camera offers the feature. I know the 645D is intended more as a field camera than a studio camera (as were the film versions) but somehow i think most pros buying it would want this feature at least occasionally
I believe the 645D supports tethering, though probably not via Lightroom.
11-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not on the original software apparently it is being added as a firmware update (i got my original info from luminous landscape review/shootout with phase one)
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not on the original software apparently it is being added as a firmware update (i got my original info from luminous landscape review/shootout with phase one)
I stand corrected.
I suspect that we will not see tethering on the K5, whether or not the 645 gets it in a firmware release.
I would also like to have it, but it's not a deal killer for me, as I see it of very limited use. Still lifes, especially product shots would benefit,
If we get to have it, I would prefer a wireless connection such as the one that connects my Blackberry to my wireless computer network.
Pentax is, I expect, still a generation away from any kind of tethering on small format.
11-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you don't need the ability to control the camera from the laptop and only need to send files directly to the PC, then the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB card is the perfect answer. Works on Pentax K7 and K5 (although EyeFi says some cameras have had issues -- I have had none).

Take a photo, five seconds later its waiting on the laptop for the model/client to view.
No wires to trip over, no swapping cards.

I had been really pissed that K7 and K5 have no tethering, but since I got the EyeFi card and I realized that I have no need or desire to control the camera from the PC, the EyeFi is the way to go for my workflow.
11-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell your DL and pick up a K10d.
The WIFI card will work, and I believe that you can feed the camera HDMI cable into a screen for *viewing only*. As I haven't got an HDMI capable screen, I can't verify this. But annoying, yes.