Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Color mode and file format for raw files?

I get some questions on the preprocessing of pentax DSLR. I am really appreciated as if you can share your ideas with me.
1. Color modes
- color form Pentax is one major point for me to choose the brand. However, I found that I can only keep the color if I use the PDCU but not the other tools e.g. Lightroom, Capture One. how to solve this?
2. DNG / PEF
- what's the point to use PEF if DNG supported by most software?

11-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think the PEF is most accurate when used with the Software that comes with the camera, the Pentax Digital Camera Utility.
11-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
The problem is that the PDCU is limited in function
11-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #4

There in the menüs you can use srgb and adobe rgb color profiles, and it saved with dng, as well as the color matrix. I think PEF is a bit more compressed to dng, but not as much, and in the times of 4-16 gb sd cards that is not a big issue.

11-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I shoot DNG and process in either Lightroom or Photoshop. I'm not having colour problems. I have to wonder what you are doing to mess the colour up?
11-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I found that I can only keep the color if I use the PDCU but not the other tools e.g. Lightroom, Capture One
I find that an underlying problem is that many users who complain about color rendering in non-Pentax software do not have their monitors properly calibrated. They are operating without a baseline of color reference and accuracy. This leads to incorrect white balance and skewed color renditions.

If that's not your particular situation, then I'd suggest learning to use the H/S/L panel in Lightroom, along with the camera calibration settings. Then save a preset and apply that to imported pictures. I don't have a need to do this in Lightroom as I always create the color I want vs. what the camera decides is right.

Everyone has their own approach.

M
11-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
I already calibrated my monitor (a Macbook color with a color vision spyder 2. My problem is that I prefer the color of pentax's vibrant mode but can't reproduce it with other software. Any tips on this?
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I prefer the color of pentax's vibrant mode but can't reproduce it with other software. Any tips on this?
Just look at how Pentax make 'Vibrant' mode. Go into the Custom Image settings of the camera or PDCU and note the settings, particularly for the Red/Green/Blue Cyan/Yellow/Magenta colour cube, as well as the brightness, saturation and contrast settings.

Every software package has similar settings - eg in LR 3 there is a preset called 'Punch' that produces images that are almost identical to Pentax's 'Vibrant'. It's hardly a unique Pentax colour scheme.

And shoot RAW+ (DNG + JPG). That way you can set the JPG's to adopt the Pentax image tone you like without any further work, and use the DNG for further PP if required.