Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom wireless?

I just got LR3, and eventually I want to be able to share my external hard drive over WiFi, but I don't yet have that capability. What I'm wondering is, if I import all my photos now by plugging the drive into the computer, will I have to re-import everything again when I go wireless? Or will it be a simple matter of telling Lightroom where the drive is located, and it will remember everything else? Thanks for your help in advance!

12-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that Lightroom will remember where all your images are (without any re-linking) if you maintain the same name for the external hard drive when you go wireless.

If you end up changing the drive name, you simply have to point LR to the correct top folder and it should re-synch. There is a synchronize folder function.

Remember, you can export your catalog as a backup prior to going wireless.

M
12-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
I just got LR3, and eventually I want to be able to share my external hard drive over WiFi, but I don't yet have that capability. What I'm wondering is, if I import all my photos now by plugging the drive into the computer, will I have to re-import everything again when I go wireless? Or will it be a simple matter of telling Lightroom where the drive is located, and it will remember everything else? Thanks for your help in advance!
Second case. You will just tell Lightroom where your pictures are.

Anyway, I strongly suggest you reconsider your setup. It is going to be very slow. I mean it — VERY slow. Keep your HDD with Lightroom library connected to your computer. Preferably over FireWire 800 or USB 3.
12-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
It is going to be very slow. I mean it — VERY slow.
Yeah, I shoulda mentioned this too, I totally agree. LR3 is pretty poky already. Over a WiFi connection it won't be fun. Maybe store slideshows on your network so you can see the good stuff.

M

12-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is going to be very slow. I mean it — VERY slow.
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Over a WiFi connection it won't be fun.
Would it help if I can use the 5Ghz band?
12-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
Would it help if I can use the 5Ghz band?
No.

Anyway, you can't use the same LR library simultaneously. It needs exclusive access to it. So, keep your LR library on external HDD and bring that HDD to any workstation you want to use.

Share on NAS only processed and exported stuff.
12-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
No. Anyway, you can't use the same LR library simultaneously. It needs exclusive access to it. So, keep your LR library on external HDD and bring that HDD to any workstation you want to use. Share on NAS only processed and exported stuff.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up! The drive I've got right now is just a USB 2.0, do you know of any decent (but not too expensive) Firewire 800 drives with 1TB?