Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Noise reduction and sharpening workflow

Hi,

I know this is a much discussed topic before and i have STF but still rather confused..so I will post the question again.

I just bought Topaz Denoise and Infocus (Infocus is only $30 bucks!) and using it now with PSE7. I am also test driving silkypix and much prefer the raw converter from silkypix than Adobe Raw.

My current workflow is to tag/keyword the photos using PSE7 and then drag the photos to Silkypix for the exposure adjustment, saturation, curves, etc. Now with denoise/infocus added into the picture (and I read that we should really apply NR as the first step of the workflow), I am confused.

If I use PSE to run denoise first, PSE will not be able to save the output to a DNG file but either TIFF/JPG/etc...so the question is...how do I "export" the denoise process DNG file to Silkypix and have silkypix processed the raw file to output to jpg?

I know this is a silly question but really on my wits end here. Appreciate help.

Thanks
raider

12-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Forum Member

To tell the truth your workflow is quite opposite to what I always knew to be the right one: first -raw converter, then PS or PSE. Yours sincerely.
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi,

I know this is a much discussed topic before and i have STF but still rather confused..so I will post the question again.

I just bought Topaz Denoise and Infocus (Infocus is only $30 bucks!) and using it now with PSE7. I am also test driving silkypix and much prefer the raw converter from silkypix than Adobe Raw.

My current workflow is to tag/keyword the photos using PSE7 and then drag the photos to Silkypix for the exposure adjustment, saturation, curves, etc. Now with denoise/infocus added into the picture (and I read that we should really apply NR as the first step of the workflow), I am confused.

If I use PSE to run denoise first, PSE will not be able to save the output to a DNG file but either TIFF/JPG/etc...so the question is...how do I "export" the denoise process DNG file to Silkypix and have silkypix processed the raw file to output to jpg?

I know this is a silly question but really on my wits end here. Appreciate help.

Thanks
raider
if you personally prefer to do your raw conversions in SilkyPix then just do not do NR in SilkyPix at all (or may be just a little of choma NR using "False Color Ctrl" slider) - export to .TIFF and finish it in PSE w/ Topaz Denoise, etc.

Topaz Denoise plugin in any case does NR on already demosaicked data, so if you are using it - it can't be a "first" step anyways ... even if you are using ACR (PSE is using ACR to open and convert raw files) your Topaz Denoise is working in fact, implicitly, with the "TIFF" file, just w/o explicit step of saving (from ACR)/opening again (in PSE).

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 12-04-2010 at 10:33 AM.
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Now that I have actually paid for denoise (and infocus), I would really like to integrate it into my workflow.

I understand your advise to put denoise at the last section of the workflow but isn't noise reduction most effective on a clean image file before any processing is done?

12-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I understand your advise to put denoise at the last section of the workflow
it is not an advise - it is the only way that you can use it - you just can't use it before the raw conversion operations will be finished...

but isn't noise reduction most effective on a clean image file before any processing is done?
then use the NR options provided by your raw converter of choice - that is the earliest NR that can happen (excluding camera's hardware and firmware), where developers might take into account what other operations you are doing (like sharpening, etc) and hopefully (if that is a good raw converter) execute NR accordingly... 3rd party plugins are always (may be except Bibble - I think there 3rd parties can supply NR plugins that can be integrated directly into raw conversion pipeline) dealing w/ the results of your raw conversion - so the best thing that you can do is to think how to make their work easier - like do not oversharpen in raw converter, use minimal NR (or not at all) in raw converter if it is not good in your opinion vs Topaz Denoise, etc...
12-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see. now it is clearer now. thanks
12-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your case:
1. Do no NR/Sharpening in SilkyPix/ACR.
2. Check with Topaz Labs which plugin should get first bite at the cherry: Denoise or InFocus. I would expect InFocus to be used first, because deconvolution focus sharpening reduces the size of points (i.e reducing the blur radius) and I think using Denoise first will blur them.

Dan.

12-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dan. Good info.