Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FastStone, K-5 and PEF?

I’m using FastStone for quick and viewing, and for some quick and simple processing. The old version of FastStone is able to read the new K-5 PEFs without any update, while PhotoShop is not. How come a simple freeware software is able to do what the professional software is not???
Is FastStone actually working on the raw data in PEFs, or is there a jpg image stored in the PEF file that FastStone might be working on?

12-08-2010, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My experience (k-x) with FastStone is that it uses the embedded JPEG (by default, can be changed, but then it gets pretty slow). A smaller developer is likely to be much more agile than a big corporation though. Of course there is much more for Adobe to support too. Fundamentally it seems that if a project needs hordes of developers, then the efficiency /developer gets way down; this seems to be a logarithmic function :-) Perhaps even more importantly, business and software development are difficult to mix, my theory being that the people in these respective fields don't really understand each other's issues and you either end up with a business driven with engineers or engineers driven by business. In the rare case where the former is in fact good business it inevitably develops towards the latter where "medicore results at an enormous expense" are the norm (Dijkstra 1967, The structure of the “the”-multiprogramming system - I would recall :-).
12-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
My experience (k-x) with FastStone is that it uses the embedded JPEG (by default, can be changed, but then it gets pretty slow).
Thanks. That was what I wondered about. Dug around a little and found the setting.
When I set RAW image viewing to “Actual Size” (where I guess it uses the RAW data) FastStone is not able to read K-5 PEF.
12-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The new ACR version (just released) reads K-5 PEF files. This means that both Photoshop and Lightroom can now process native K-5 PEF files. Not sure where the advantage over using the K-5's DNG files might be.