Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
lightroom to import to two locations?

When I import from SD, I import to a folder and creates subfolder by date.
Is there a way to import to more than one location?
The reason for this is that I import to my raid drive, and then I want to have a backup to external.

I saw in lightroom in import there is file handling, and import to second directory but it will not create another subfolder by date as specified by the normal import settings.

Are there any better solutions rather than using explorer to copy the folders to my external manually?

12-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set mine up to automatically back up once a week. I do it that way because it allows me time to delete the shots I don't want. Is that what you are looking for or do you want it to do it immediately as you import the photos? I don't suggest that since any shots you delete during PP stays in the (immediate) backup you did. That's a huge waste of disk space
12-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #3

If the object for the external drive is to mirror the file structure on your main drive(s) then I would manually copy them or set up a utility to watch your main pictures folder and update.

The other option is setting up a few folders to match what lightroom is doing. Each time you import create a new folder in the proper location during lightroom import using the optoin to make a new folder. It would be really easy once you know what to do. I believe this is the only way to do it completely inside of lightroom since there is not a function to create the copies using the "same" file locations on different drive. The problem with doing this is importing more than one date at a time you would need to import one date, then go back and import the next one with back up copies in a new folder.

Does lightroom rename the copies that are sent to the second location? I've never renamed during import when using the "make second copy to" function. Make sure to check that out if you are renaming files since the catalogue might have a hard time with that should the back up need to be used as the working files.
12-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
basically all I want to do is mirror. I have quite a lot of disk space

I guess I could set up some sort of share some how. Not sure of any solutions to mirror