Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Non-destructive method of opening RAW files with ACR

Hello I have 2 questions,

Wondering what is the method of opening files with Photoshop ACR and leaving all the information of RAW file intact.

There seems to be 3 methods of opening RAW files, which leaves the file intact?
-open image
-open copy (with alt key)
-open object (with shift key)

My second question is, which is the best specialized forum for photoshop use and helping among members about PS problems they experience, you know of? Or this section of PF is just good enough?

Thanks.

PS I am using Win XP 64 bit version and CS4

12-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To my knowledge opening a file does not alter the RAW in any way. However since ACR is configured to store XMP metadata(by default), it can be be said that it can alter RAW files as a result. And though it can be reversed(cleared), I've found(and you may have too) that in many cases, once a RAW/DNG file is altered in this way, it can conflict with other software(s) ie. GordonB's tinge removal etc. etc.

The best approach(I've found) around this, is to setup your ACR preferences to save XMP metadata externally aka. in a sidecar .XMP file and you won't have to worry about RAW/DNG altercations again.

Also, I've never seen a dedicated forum for PP and to my knowledge this would be it.
12-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
To my knowledge opening a file does not alter the RAW in any way.
Thanks for the info, in ACR if you bring mouse on open button actually a pop-up balloon says it'll change meta-data.
12-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are really nervous about preserving the original, use PEFs.

All ACR settings are then saved in external xmp files (or the ACR database if this option is selected), and the original file is not modified in any way..

Last edited by dave kitson; 12-12-2010 at 06:50 AM.
12-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
which is the best specialized forum for photoshop use and helping among members about PS problems they experience
Adobe runs comprehensive forums. Fred Miranda has a wide ranging site similar in ways to PF. Digital Grin has a lot of good participants and a nice vibe. Luminous Landscape has been around for a long time with lots of expertise.

Then there are content-specific forums: Sportsshooter, Nature Photographers Network are the two I favor, but dozens more. What kind of work do you produce?

M
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Then there are content-specific forums: Sportsshooter, Nature Photographers Network are the two I favor, but dozens more. What kind of work do you produce?

M
Landscape and close-ups, which one do you recommend?
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The four general ones would be excellent. They each have post-processing forums more active than here.
Nature Photographers technical forum may be useful, but to participate you have to join. Check the galleries there, they are among the best for landscape and closeups, and even better as a member to be able to get feedback on your shots. If you are interested in joining PM me.

HTH

M

12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote

My second question is, which is the best specialized forum for photoshop use
Adobe has forums for ACR, LR, Photoshop, DNG, etc...

Adobe Forums: Forums