Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3d party pinting software is it required?

A bit of sage advice please.
I am producing raw images from my K10d and my K-r at full mp sensor size, and the native image size is way bigger that A3 sheets which is the biggest I print out at the moment.
So in that case, if the above statement is correct, is there any need to consider the likes of Qimage, or similar software?

I get the impression they are for dealing with images that need up sizing to fit a given a paper size and do a better job then the supplied printer driver for your printer or have I missed something?

12-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What are you printing with at the moment?

Qimage is great at up- or down-rezzing, but it also has very sophisticated nesting and colour-management options, such as nesting images with different profiles and rendering intents. It does all the work on the fly, so you don't have to make different copies of the image; lets you create associative filters for each image; and has its own on-the-fly output sharpening (although personally I find that too aggressive). It's really very capable software, with a ridiculously steep learning curve to match.

For casual printers, I'd recommend something simpler and more integrated into their workflow - Lightroom, say.
12-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the reply
I use lightroom3.3 and or elements 8, a viewsonic 24" calibrated with spider elite and print from a epson R2880 using cutom profiles for the paper mostly matts or semi matt types.
alistair
12-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have a fine setup. No need to get more software for printing. LR has excellent resizing capabilities up or down. Just keep things color managed, which I assume you are.

M

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
A bit of sage advice please.
I am producing raw images from my K10d and my K-r at full mp sensor size, and the native image size is way bigger that A3 sheets which is the biggest I print out at the moment.
So in that case, if the above statement is correct, is there any need to consider the likes of Qimage, or similar software?

I get the impression they are for dealing with images that need up sizing to fit a given a paper size and do a better job then the supplied printer driver for your printer or have I missed something?

12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
HMM Thanks guys, I did not want to say so but I have test printed Qimage's test sheet via elements, lightroom, and Qimage and at A4 size paper i can't see the difference.
there seems to be so many people on the web singing Qimages praises you begin to wonder if you are missing something.
Alistair