Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I will remind everyone of the last commercial graphics software company that tried Linux.

Corel Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And your point about Corel is?

I used it for years. It was a great product at a great price.

12-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Why would they support an OS that has less than 1% of the desktop market and is only used by Freetards?
Your question is valid, your use of the word freetard is insulting.

But as far as WHY support linux?

1) since adobe moved to a model of coding their applications where there is the coree code of the app, and it resides on top of an abstraction layer for the OS it works under, porting to new platforms should be easier than ever before.

2) Linux market share is growing, especially in the workplace, and especially when that workplace is run by a government.

3) Apple is increasingly hostile towards adobe from a business standpoint.

4) Both apple and MS seem to be trying to refocus on supporting computing on "devices". There are many categories of users this won't work well for. Graphic design is one of them.
12-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
And your point about Corel is?

I used it for years. It was a great product at a great price.
Corel thought they could take on both Adobe and M$ with WordPerfect and Linux. It lasted less than 2 years. They ended up selling their Linux code to Xandros. It was the start of Corel's slide from major company to obscurity.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-17-2010 at 12:08 PM.
12-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This.

Adobe Forums: PhotoShop For Linux ?

12-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

And let's not forget many companies do not like the GPL. It is a legal minefield for them while wanting to keep their code proprietary and supporting your product on Linux is a nightmare due to all the variants each having a different structure. You'd have to have a very large demand for it make that worth while I'd say. And if Adobe uses proprietary algorithms they may have licensed from other companies, those third parties would have to agree to using it on a platform that has the GPL. Not an easy go.
12-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And let's not forget many companies do not like the GPL. It is a legal minefield for them while wanting to keep their code proprietary and supporting your product on Linux is a nightmare due to all the variants each having a different structure. You'd have to have a very large demand for it make that worth while I'd say. And if Adobe uses proprietary algorithms they may have licensed from other companies, those third parties would have to agree to using it on a platform that has the GPL. Not an easy go.
Not necessarily. You can have proprietary code under the GPL. Any changes you make to code that comes from a GPL source has to be released. This is why so many open source people hate M$, they use open source code all the time without releasing their changes ie. Kerberos.
12-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Not necessarily. You can have proprietary code under the GPL. Any changes you make to code that comes from a GPL source has to be released.
Which is another reason why we see so few proprietary commercial applications on GPL platforms. GNU is not proprietary friendly.

12-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

1. The Ubuntu updater is a direct copy of the Mac OS X updater. Non Apple apps have Sparkle. Next month we get 1click install and automatic updates for all apps purchased from the App store.
2. Installation, and uninstallation, on Mac OS X is mostly drag and drop to the Applications folder. (Adobe & M$ being major exceptions.)
3. Mac OS X has Steam
4. Only 4? I have 16.
1. Okay, so how is having two separate updating methods a counter point? Next month something happens? What's your point?

2. So it's mostly, excluding the application this post is about... Same thing with Linux as a lot of apps are one-click install/uninstall.

3. Yeah I know, Steam is a recent addition. What maybe 5 months ago? How many games does it have compared to the Windows version?

4. I said default. Why would you need 16 screens to have applications on? How would you remember your text editor is on window 14? That seems pointless. I generally only use 3 and sometimes 4.

I don't understand why you are in here harassing Linux users. I bought Photoshop CS2 back in the day and I won't bother buying another Adobe product unless they have a Linux version. I'm not going to buy a Mac to use Photoshop. If Unix variants are so crappy, why is your operating system using pieces of FreeBSD? So maybe it's a good idea to stop hassling *nix users as your OS depends on the labor of all who worked on FreeBSD, something that Apple uses to their advantage.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.
12-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote

4. I said default. Why would you need 16 screens to have applications on? How would you remember your text editor is on window 14? That seems pointless. I generally only use 3 and sometimes 4.
You don't have to remember. Every app you open also has its icon appear on the dock. Just clicking on the icon in the dock in OS X will automatically switch you to the "space" (as they call it) that it is on. This is a different behavior than on Linux and is sometimes annoying too. But a cool feature is you can expand all spaces to one screen, see what is on them and drag and drop an app to the other space if you want.

Last edited by tuco; 12-17-2010 at 02:07 PM.
12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
1. Okay, so how is having two separate updating methods a counter point? Next month something happens? What's your point?

2. So it's mostly, excluding the application this post is about... Same thing with Linux as a lot of apps are one-click install/uninstall.

3. Yeah I know, Steam is a recent addition. What maybe 5 months ago? How many games does it have compared to the Windows version?

I don't understand why you are in here harassing Linux users. I bought Photoshop CS2 back in the day and I won't bother buying another Adobe product unless they have a Linux version. I'm not going to buy a Mac to use Photoshop. If Unix variants are so crappy, why is your operating system using pieces of FreeBSD? So maybe it's a good idea to stop hassling *nix users as your OS depends on the labor of all who worked on FreeBSD, something that Apple uses to their advantage.
1. Sparkle: a free software update framework for the Mac

2. Linux apps are only 1click install if you are using a package manager. Ever compile an app from source? Mac apps are mostly self-contained bundles. Just dropping it in the trash removes everything, no mouse droppings. Adobe and M$ are the big exceptions. They like to drop files all over your hard drive.

QuoteQuote:
But a cool feature is you can expand all spaces to one screen, see what is on them and drag and drop an app to the other space if you want.
You can also drag an application window to the edge of the screen and it will go to the next space.
12-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Why would they support an OS that has less than 1% of the desktop market and is only used by Freetards?
Bibble, Lightzone are commercial RAW developer apps and available on Linux. Several pro photographers use them. Ask them why they want income from ore people.

Btw you're a moron.
12-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I use Bibble on both Ubuntu and Windows. Gimp is also available for both Linux and Windows. Photoshop has its uses but there are very good alternatives that don't cost the earth.
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #28

I personally am a Linux user. I find it funny that we are arguing about Linux having such a small user base compared to Windows and Mac... When we are all Pentaxians. We are using the Linux of cameras when compared to Nikon and Canon. Yet third party companies make gear to support our cameras. Not asking for a fight here, but why don't more people use Gimp it does an excellent job IMO.
01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It is so NOT a minefield unless you are trying to earn money off of another open source product. Adobe has a product. There is nothing open source about it. All they need to do is get compiled binaries for the OS. None of that exposes them to GPL license restrictions in any way.
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cacain Quote
Not asking for a fight here, but why don't more people use Gimp it does an excellent job IMO.
The GIMP does not support 16-bit files. 16-bit support won't be there until GIMP 3.0 or later. It also does not support CMYK making it useless for print work. An lastly its interface sucks.