Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thread.
I just finished 3 year development of a specialized engineering app which uses parallel processes on a multi core machine.
It started out to be cross platform but with Win7 came problems so continued only on linux and then went a logical step further.

I will mention the way it is being deployed because it occurs to me it may have advantages for apps like photo processing.

The whole thing is just the app+os is in a low cost embedded machine about the size of a small book.
So the user unpacks a complete & working physical box - no problems with install or compatibility etc
It runs either headless -servers for remote log in via internet and connection to a cloud server, or for lan subnet to the user's pc, -and it also has dvi & vga sockets so the user can locally log in X and provide his own display.
The cost of the box is small compared to the cost of the software.

I think the days of deploying big specialized apps on general purpose desktops etc are numbered- many limitations and problems.
I went though some of the issues being mentioned on this thread but furthermore, there are benefits to customizing the machine hardware too, as I expect would be an advantage for graphics.

01-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stallman and the Freetards strike again.

Apple pulls VLC media player from the App Store | MacNN