Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
Don't understand how this relates to my post
Nowhere in my post do I refer to print-matching. I can fairly closely match my prints to either of my displays via custom print-profiles, but my problem is that SRGB images look quite different on the wide-gamut versus normal-gamut LCDs, despite these LCDs being (supposedly) successfully calibrated to the same target using the Spyder3.

My point was that the Spyder3 puck will do a good job as a colorimeter/calibrator on normal-gamut LCD displays (the subject of the original post), but, in my experience, the sample that I have will not do a good job with wide-gamut LCDs. It appears as though the colour-response of the puck under-estimates Reds or over-estimates Greens on my wide-gamut device.

It is supposed to work on wide-gamut, and I'm currently waiting for a replacement puck from Datacolor that will hopefully resolve this issue.

dave
I just sum what I was trying to say is this:
If you don't have a high end printer, not much use in spending tones of money on a calibration unit if you can't see the results in print... better to get a midrange unit and spend the extra money on photoshop or something like that
hope this explain it better

of course it is all a matter of opinion

randy

12-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Here is a link to some icc resources for personal and commerical printing. also has a pay per profile service
Dry Creek Photo

hope this helps

randy
12-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dave--thanks for the post about Spyder's customer service; sure hope the replacement works better for you. I'd read someplace that wide-gamut monitors were troublesome critters.

Randy--thanks for the Dry Creek link. Looks as if there's all sorts of good stuff on there; it'll be a very good resource!

nath
01-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
It is supposed to work on wide-gamut, and I'm currently waiting for a replacement puck from Datacolor that will hopefully resolve this issue.
I received the replacement puck from Datacolor this morning and have just re-calibrated both the wide-gamut and normal-gamut LCDs. The difference is considerable....

The RGB balance to set colour-temperature on the wide-gamut device is markedly different, the pink cast has completely disappeared and SRGB images now look very close on both displays.

A good result....

dave