Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Home Slide Scanning vs Lab Digitizing Question

Howdy-

I'm sure this is a well worn question, but I'm new to this part of the forum so thanks in advance for your forbearance.

I have a bunch of slides to digitize and am deciding whether to do them myself or send them to a service. I have an old Minolta Dimage Elite II scanner, or could buy a new/used better one, or them send out to a service.

Has anyone had a similar dilemma, and if you've used a slide digitizing service can you recommend any?

Many thanks.

12-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends on what your definition of a "bunch" is.

M
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It also depends on what you want to use the scans for. Large prints? (10x8 for example) Get a quality scan done with D-ICE. Flickr? Use the Minola.

If 'a bunch' is thousands (or even hundreds) and you want high-quality scans you could consider getting a Nikon Coolscan V and slide feeder (SF-200 or SF210 I believe) on Ebay (it will take time and patience), do your scanning and then resell the Nikon & feeder. The second hand price seems to be as much as the new price was, and they seem to be holding their price very well.
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This might be a helpful subforum...

Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com

01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Personally, I've hated scanning in negatives. The slightest speck of dust will drive you nuts. Best of patience to you.
01-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ptrenh Quote
Personally, I've hated scanning in negatives. The slightest speck of dust will drive you nuts. Best of patience to you.
That's the magic of D-ICE. The results are terrific so long as you are not scanning Kodachrome or B&W.

KODAK: KODAK DIGITAL ICE TECHNOLOGY
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I havea minolta Dimage II with USB 1.1 interface. I scanned 4700 slides and 15,000 negatives over 4 years

Yes it is slow but it did a good job in the end

01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Your Minolta is a good scanner - comparable or even better than similarly specced Nikon scanners, especially in its colour reproduction. I suggest you start with it, and if you find it too slow then look at either a second-hand later-model Konica Minolta, a new Plustek film scanner or perhaps an Epson V700/V750 flatbed (and learn how to use them thoroughly - there's nothing worse than having to redo old scans as you travel up the learning curve!).