Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax remote assistant

I downloaded this program for my k10 and it asks for me to insert a cd... anyone know where I can download the full version from scratch?

thanks

randy

12-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Perhaps you just need to insert the CD that came with your K10D (to show that you're a legit user)?

I'd assume that what you download from a Pentax site be the full version.

I have had no problem installing the Remote Assistant, but I did already have the Pentax software that came with the camera installed.
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I downloaded this program for my k10 and it asks for me to insert a cd... anyone know where I can download the full version from scratch?

thanks

randy
Well 2 things 1) probably only needs to see a CD.. there are tricks.
2)IF you need to install the photo browser software you can just download the "update" and do the same CD trick...
Apparently the trick is updated........
QuoteQuote:
You can download Pentax Digital Camera Utility v4.11 from Pentax and then trick it into thinking you have the previous version on hand (necessary for the install) by naming a USB flash drive volume as "S-SW90".
old way:
QuoteQuote:
You can get around not having the original CD and not having the older 4.0 software installed, by burning a CD with the name S-SW90. It doesn't matter what is on the CD, it can be blank if you want.
Stupid isn't it........
12-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Well 2 things 1) probably only needs to see a CD.. there are tricks.
2)IF you need to install the photo browser software you can just download the "update" and do the same CD trick...
Apparently the trick is updated........

old way:

Stupid isn't it........
not sure I still have the cd (never even installed it as photoshop is the only way to go IMHO)
I will try the name trick if I can't find the cd

thanks for you help

randy

12-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
May or may not make a difference but if using a flash drive (just to save discs) you may need to name it the correct version.. S-SW(x)....... a search at dpreview and here will give you more info.
As far as I know (limited info) the pentax "upgrades" are really full versions and just use the disc to verify you actually have a pentax product. Not sure why they even bother to tell you the truth.
As stated earlier it may need the photolab software installed but that is easy enough.....
This was how to install the remote software on a netbook.........(no cd drive)
QuoteQuote:
You will need the following two tools, Deamontools lite and CDburnXP.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/home
http://cdburnerxp.se/

In CDburnXP, open a data disk. Click on the disc in the left lower panel and rename to S-SW90. In the file menu, select "Save compilation as ISO". Save the iso to your desktop, it should save as S-SW90.iso.

After installing deamontools lite, you'll find deamontools running in your systems tray (right hand corner with the clock). Click on the deamontools icon (blue circle with lightening bolt) in the task window to see Device 0 (your virtual DVD), click on Device 0 to open the "Select Image File" dialog box. Click on the Desktop Icon on the left, now click on the S-SW90.iso file to mount it.

You should now be able to install the 4.11 update.

Thank you
Russell
At dpreview search w/
installing pentax remote assistant

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-30-2010 at 08:00 PM.
03-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

Hi, I've found this thread trying to install Pentax Remote Assistant on a EEEPC900 (with 4GB SSD hard disk). After some troubles I've found the solution: launch the installer by Windows XP command line.
Open a MS-Dos Prompt and type:
INSTRA0351.exe /s
A non interactive installer put Pentax Remote Assistant under c:\Program Files\PENTAX\etc...

PRO: It works.
CONS: Non interactive mode doesn't let you choice where to put you program, so if you need to save space (like in netbook), maybe 9.31MB of Pentax candy tool could be too much.

Simone

PS: Sorry for my poor english.