Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
print size display in PS

In PS when the tool selected is the magnifying glass, if I zoom in to 33% in PS on any image then the ruler size on screen matches a ruler held up to it.
Is this then actually viewing print size rather than the larger size shown by using the print size option button?
and if so, what is the print size button image size meant to represent?

01-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
In PS when the tool selected is the magnifying glass, if I zoom in to 33% in PS on any image then the ruler size on screen matches a ruler held up to it.
Is this then actually viewing print size rather than the larger size shown by using the print size option button?
and if so, what is the print size button image size meant to represent?
The print size button will show the printed image size. That will be the size printed if you do nothing else to image. You can change the print size by changing Image > Resize > Image Size... the dialog box should contain some options allowing you to change up dimensions

(I am using an older version of PS but pretty sure it's all about the same still :-)

Good luck, Rick
01-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

This link may be helpful: Explaining “Image Resolution” and View > Print Size | Photography Tutorials | Planet Photoshop

If I want to view my image at it's real print size, I take my monitors width in inches, then divide that by it's horizontal resolution to get the monitors real pixels per inch(PPI). Then you take your monitor's PPI and divide it by your print DPI and you get the percent to use in the navigator. Strange to explain easy to do.

For example, my monitor is somewhere around 106-108 PPI. I take 106/360= ~29.5% or if I'm printing at 180 DPI, I'll get 106/180=~59%.

I'll admit, that's kind of a silly way to do things ... unless you need to actually see something at it's real size. Most times I'll just check an image at 33, 50, 66, and 100% to make sure it looks good before sending it to print. I'll also sometimes bring an image up to 100% and then stand about 3-4x further back, helpful for checking how fine details might appear in the final print.