Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photo shop assitance requested...

I believe I've posted in the correct area. (Please forgive me if I have not.)
I have come across an old photo of my father and his twin (attached) from the early 1930's. What's cool is that I have also come across 3 of the actual flags that the little fella's are holding in the picture. What I'd like to do is frame the flags along with the photo (and give one each to my siblings.) This alone will be simple enough. However, what I though might be a nice effect is if I can have the matching flag in color in the B+W photo?
Any thoughts as to how difficult this would be to do, and who I could approach to do it?
Guidance is appreciated.
thx in advance!
gw

Last edited by beaumont; 02-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.
01-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
grab the paint brush tool and set it to "color" mode instead of normal. Choose the color you want and paint it in.
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx for the reply. I have Adobe Lightroom, but that's it. Is the procedure you describe available with Lightroom?
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So you don't need Photo Shop assistance, you need Lightroom assistance?

01-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the confusion. I do have Lightroom, but I'm guessing that I can't perform this operation with Lightroom? As I do not have (and therefore am not familiar with Photo Shop, I'm wondering if it is possible to do with that program...and if so, how hard it is to do...(or if I should "out source" it to someone)?
Again, sorry for the confusion.
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Sorry for the confusion. I do have Lightroom, but I'm guessing that I can't perform this operation with Lightroom? As I do not have (and therefore am not familiar with Photo Shop, I'm wondering if it is possible to do with that program...and if so, how hard it is to do...(or if I should "out source" it to someone)?
Again, sorry for the confusion.
I have PhotoShop CS5 and have added color to a BW photo with relatively good success. The link below is what I used as a tutorial. The second link is something I found for Lighroom but since I do not have lightroom I cannot comment on how well, if at all, it works. Good luck

Hand Colouring A Black And White Photo In Photoshop - Photoshop Tutorial | PhotoshopSupport.com

Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image - Lightroom Video Tutorial | Yanik's Photo School
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, that Lightroom link explained it KxBlaze! Thanks for your assistance!

Last edited by beaumont; 01-01-2012 at 12:14 PM.
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Glad I could help. Nice job, that looks better than what I was able to do with Photoshop. But I was trying to do an old family portrait and human skin tones and clothes are tricky.