Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adobe RAW converter for K100D and K10D???

I'll try to make this short

I've been shooting in RAW in both cameras for about 6-7 months now, but doing straight conversion from DNG or PEF in stock Pentax Photo Lab, not in Adobe, and here is why:

The more I got familiar with both cameras and their exposures, the less I have to fiddle with post processing and more and more liking images just as they were shot. Pentax Photo lab sees them as I do in the preview, and converts them straight out of the camera with one click, and I like richness, colors, tones, etc.

On the other hand, Adobe RAW at default settings makes images look dull, unappealing, absolutely no punch, where Pentax Photo Lab - images are rich, punchy, with true to real colors, here are few examples:

Pentax Photolab:

Adobe Raw:

Pentax Photolab:

Adobe Raw:

Both images are done with no tweaking of any sliders in either software.

And even after 2 hours of fiddling with Adobe Raw, I still can not achieve the colors and appearance both cameras produce and converted with no adjustments in Pentax Photo Lab.

I want to be able to use Adobe, but, how I duplicate the settings/profile the Pentax Photo Lab uses or something very close to that so I can get the same results from Adobe?

I've searched the site, but found nothing in concrete to answer my question.

Kind regards,
D

10-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Adobe's Camera RAW can be pretty intense, there's so many settings there and there's some extra learning curve involved. But to start off with Camera RAW, try this...

If you want the punchier feel, click the "Auto" button in Adobe's Camera RAW settings. Go into the curves and set it to Medium Constrast, Strong Contrast if you desire it.

Looks like the pentax software does this step as the default, you can set Adobe's Camera RAW to default to auto as well once you get a hang of the program.

Using Adobe Bridge, you can copy and paste Camera RAW settings so you can maintain consistency through a series of pictures, etc. You can create Camera RAW presents and apply them as necessary as well which can save a lot of PP time.
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for trying to help me, I really appreciate it!

The thing is, I enjoy taking photos, but really not big fan of spending much time correcting them (unless I feel it's a rare shot, and it's worth saving), and most of the time in Photo Lab, I have no need to adjust anything.

Ideally, I would like to built or download some kinda profile for both cameras so I can use the with a click of a button in Adobe RAW, and so far no luck at all.

I've tried the "auto" settings on multiple occasions, and generally what it does, it brightens it too much, blows the highlights, and still, colors are nowhere near what I see in Photolab, here is an example of Adobe Raw (Auto setting)

Open to any suggestions

Regards,
D
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From the leaf one, it looks like you need to bump the darkness and saaturation sliders some.

10-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want accurate colors maybe ACR calibrator by Fors or the friendlier version by Gardner--both are slow. On the other hand In-Camera by PictoColor (expensive) might also be worthwhile. Both require some form of color Target: MacBeth ColorChecker or it-8. But accurate might not be 'punchy'. Miranda has a series of film-like plug-ins (Velvia) that may turn the trick.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I'll try to make this short

I've been shooting in RAW in both cameras for about 6-7 months now, but doing straight conversion from DNG or PEF in stock Pentax Photo Lab, not in Adobe, and here is why:

The more I got familiar with both cameras and their exposures, the less I have to fiddle with post processing and more and more liking images just as they were shot. Pentax Photo lab sees them as I do in the preview, and converts them straight out of the camera with one click, and I like richness, colors, tones, etc.

On the other hand, Adobe RAW at default settings makes images look dull, unappealing, absolutely no punch, where Pentax Photo Lab - images are rich, punchy, with true to real colors...

Kind regards,
D
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Both images are done with no tweaking of any sliders in either software.

And even after 2 hours of fiddling with Adobe Raw, I still can not achieve the colors and appearance both cameras produce and converted with no adjustments in Pentax Photo Lab.

I want to be able to use Adobe, but, how I duplicate the settings/profile the Pentax Photo Lab uses or something very close to that so I can get the same results from Adobe?

I've searched the site, but found nothing in concrete to answer my question.
D
Hi,

Sad to say, but the answer is that you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of "default settings." Here is why I think that:

Pentax Photo Lab is designed to be used with Pentax cameras, and when it reads the RAW it recognizes the camera model (and lens for distortions) and uses a very nice set of defaults related to what you saw in the preview. (I think this is similar to the in-camera RAW processing defaults for K10D, but not sure.)

Adobe Camera RAW is designed to be used with *any camera* that produces a RAW file. It cannot have defaults that are perfect for every make and model of digicam out there, so its defaults are there as a starting point - that's all. You can tweak and save your settings and then set them as the "new default" but it will take some work and understanding the Adobe software to get there.

If you prefer not to tweak or save custom settings, then stick with Photo Lab, but Adobe Camera Raw *can* produce the same images from the same RAWs and arguably does some things better (colorspaces, batching, browsing in Bridge, easier for Photoshop work downstream, etc.).

It is ultimately up to you what you use, and it sounds like you like the "fire and forget" of Photo Lab. Just remember that Adobe Camera Raw is not flawed or incapable of producing great results from Pentax RAWs, you just need to create your own defaults (or ask others for a better starting point) for your camera & lenses. Oh, and "auto" settings in ACR are even more generic compromises!

Just my .02 CDN

-Mark
10-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #7

Hi All,

I have found that ACR does a much better job of raw conversion but, I like the Silkypix interface for initial corrections and some of its fun features. If I want as a high-resolution image is possible, I will open it in ACR and select the save function to save it as DNG. If you tick the linear box, it will do the conversion and can be opened in Silkypix (no, the Pentax Lab will not).

You can download a stripped down version of Silkypix for free and test it. I did and bought the studio version and have been very happy with it.

Bob

10-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

you can try Raw Therapee - News also