Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Windows 7 Pro version?

I recall reading somewhere that Windows 7 Pro version was a better choice than the Home version for phtographers, but can't recall why or where I saw it. Anyone kow why Windows Pro 7 might be superior? I shoot both 4x5 film and a K20d. Thanks

01-09-2011, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #2

Windows 7 Versions

I do not believe there is any advantage to the Windows 7 editions when it comes to photography. They are all fairly similar. Windows 7 professional can support more RAM, more physical CPUs and more storage.

For more details about the differences, check out the Wikipedia Article: Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for any advantage, I do not believe there is a massive difference. For most people, the 16 GB RAM limit on Win7 Home Premium is more than enough right now. Also, you'll be hard pressed to find a consumer PC with more than one physical CPU.

Between the Windows 7 versions there is no difference between the graphics systems. So your photos will show up the same under each version given that you are using the same hardware.

You mention 4x5 photography. If your scanning your photos, a scanner will work the same under all versions of Windows 7. So no worries there.

Hope these points help.
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only Windows 7 any version 64-bit can support more ram. Windows 7 32-bit can only use up to 3.25 RAM. Here's another chart for you:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/windows-7-product-editions-a-comparison.aspx

I'm running Home Premium and on the 64 bit version, so I can use as much as my motherboard will allow.
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
SteveCW and photolady, thanks for your replies.

01-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're graphics card is onboard, as built into the motherboard, you might consider getting another card if your computer has the extra slot for it.
01-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I will soon be getting another computer and trying to decide if the Pro upgrade is worth the extra money. The new computer will have a "good" graphics card.
01-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really. I find the one I have to be sufficient for my needs. My computer was built by me, so I made it to run Windows 7 and had considered the pro version but further checking, it really wasn't necessary to own and use that one. As for my reference about the ram above, my motherboard only allows for up to 8GB, I forgot to say that earlier. But unless you plan on using VMware (virtual machine ware) you'll not need more than 8GB of ram anyway.
01-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
If you're graphics card is onboard, as built into the motherboard, you might consider getting another card if your computer has the extra slot for it.
Could you explain why please?

01-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Onboard video uses RAM. Now days, newer computers come with better onboard video but they still use part of your system memory/RAM to power that video card. So, if you only have, say, 2gb memory, and your video card uses up to 512mb of that memory, you only have 1.5GB of memory for your system, and programs like Photoshop like lots of memory, your system will be slow.

Another disadvantage to onboard video is, if it ever stops working you can't just replace it, you have to replace the whole motherboard and on branded systems this can get expensive and troublesome.
01-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I recently built a new computer and am running Windows 7 Home Premium. The biggest difference between the 2 is networking as the Pro will be much easier to use on a network with different machines running a different OS. Home version will network only with other Win7 computers. There's probably a work around for this but I haven't bothered to figure it out. If networking is important to you, spend the extra $30 for Pro. (OEM price) For now, I'm using the onboard video, ATI Raedon 4200. It's the best onboard video I have seen but it does consume 512GB of system memory. I'm running an AMD X3 and 4GB with Win7-64bit. My motherboard can handle up to 16GB but I'm not likely to ever upgrade beyond 8GB on this MB. So far, I'm satisfied with the onboard graphics. I have a PCI X16 slot for a video card in the future. Adding a video card may also require a bigger power supply if the one you have is under 500 watts.

The big advantage of newer, multi core computers is multitasking. If you want to run 2 monitors and say, watch a movie on one monitor and browse the forum on the other monitor, it's easy to do. You could also run Photoshop and watch a movie but my brain doesn't multi task. If you plan on that kind of use, get a good video card and all the memory your Mobo can handle. Actually, my onboard video is capable of that but I haven't tried it.
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again to all for your responses. In the next month or so I will be purchasing a new PC machine for primarily Photoshop work. No game stuff whatsoever. I anticipate high RAM and fast graphic card needs as I will be working with super-resolution and focused-stacked images. I want to make sure that I don't overlook something, hence my question about the different Windows 7 versions. I will use 2 monitors, one for the tools palette and the second, a 24" EIZO, for my images. I am admittedly technically challenged and found the transition from shooting 4x5 and 6x9 film exclusively to digital capture fairly daunting. I know that when I buy the new machine, within a month after purchase I will have forgotten all the numbers, types, brands, all of the technical "stuff", so want as much as possible to not overlook something in the investigative stage. Having said that, based on your feedback and other posts on the Pentax Forums sites I've seen, here's what I've gathered:

- AMD or Intel, no difference as long as you are buying approx. the top 3 current offerings of each
- RAM, minimum of 8 GB (not clear if 12 or higher makes a real world difference)
- graphics card - any 1GB card should have quality enough in other areas
- Windows 7 - 64bit, Home or Pro (no practical difference for my needs)
- Motherboard - anything that can handle the above and that would allow expansion to at least 12 GB of RAM.
- Power supply -minimum 500 watts (would 650 or higher be better? If so, how so?)
- Clients to purchase my work so I can pay for all of this (oops, thought it was my late Christmas list!)
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for networking Home Premium with other OS's, perhaps this read will help you understand how to do that:

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don, check your PMs. I run AMD, and am contemplating a new build. My current system is dual core but the motherboard only allows for 8GB of ram and I want more. LOL
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

As for networking Home Premium with other OS's, perhaps this read will help you understand how to do that:

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
Thanks for the link PL. I have an XP SP3 desktop and a Win 7 Pro (64bit) laptop that won't talk to each other, even if direct connected by wire. Both being HP may have something to do with that but perhaps the link will show some minutia that HP support left out.

01-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another disadvantage to onboard video is, if it ever stops working you can't just replace it, you have to replace the whole motherboard and on branded systems this can get expensive and troublesome.
Not necessarily true. A lot of modern desktop motherboards have on-board graphics but also have a slot you can put a graphics card in.