Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Switch to Ubuntu?

I have a 3 year old PC that needs some help. I was thinking of wiping the disk and installing this linux platform. The computer just sits around as an extra when my wife is using my Mac.
I'd like to still be able to use the computer for some PP editing. What would my options be? How good is Gimp?

Thanks

01-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
I have a 3 year old PC that needs some help. I was thinking of wiping the disk and installing this linux platform. The computer just sits around as an extra when my wife is using my Mac.
I'd like to still be able to use the computer for some PP editing. What would my options be? How good is Gimp?

Thanks
GIMP is very powerful and is much like photoshop. However, if you are used to photoshop, you probably will find learning something just as complex to be very frustrating. If so, just install photoshop via WINE
01-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's generally agreed upon is that GIMP lets you accomplish almost all of the tasks that photoshop can, but with more steps and a bigger learning curve.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In general, I tend to recommend looking into PCLinuxOS instead of Ubuntu and into digiKam instead of the Gimp. Well, the Gimp can be used to complement digiKam for some things.

My question to you is: what are the specs of your machine?

01-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have an older computer that does exactly what you want to do with yours. I run Ubuntu. I use it as an extra machine and also as backup for my photos. If you're new to Linux, Ubuntu is a good place to start. GIMP is a pretty powerful editing program but not the easiest to use. I don't do much editing on my Ubuntu computer as I prefer to use Windows and Elements for most of my editing. That's my preference and I'm not saying that GIMP isn't capable. Picasa also works on Ubuntu and there are lots other photo editing programs as well.
01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Gimp is a complete image editing package. It is not difficult to learn it for photographic purpose alone. As all serious such programs (photoshop etc.) is very demanding in memory. You shall need 2GB of RAM installed in your PC. Gimp is also availlable in Windows, so you can try it before switching OS. As for Ubuntu, it is an excellent distribution.
01-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Of course, you can probably guess what I'll suggest... :P

Ubuntu would be a great option for your old PC. It's easy to install and setup. Runs great as well.

I've tried almost every version of linux out there, but I've always come back to Ubuntu.

01-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, Ubuntu is a good first Linux distribution. Lots of support and large repository of packages. There forum is active and you can get a lot of help or find info on how to do things.

Something to note. Open Source software like Ubuntu can not be distributed with support for secret, proprietary formats, codecs and what-not in general. So you need to activate a "restricted" repository for application updates and bring in support for that stuff yourself.

The GIMP is good for a lot of things. I've used it for years for web graphics and some photo work. But since I scan BW negatives the 8 bit color limitation does not give much head room for editing. So I bucked up for the popular commercial editor since I have the disposable income for it. Right now the GIMP is starting to get ready for 16 bit color though.
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Forum Member

I use Ubuntu on a really old laptop with no issues. I don' really use it for any photo stuff though. But make sure to check out digikam: digiKam - Photo Management Program | Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of Open Source
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Ubuntu is great, though I've since recently moved on to a different OS.
There are some really great GIMP tutorials (and some bleh ones) on Youtube that work for resources.
01-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What would my options be? How good is Gimp?
There are quite some options: Gimp (with Ufraw-plugin to read raw files), Ufraw (standalone), DigiKam, Raw Therapee, Darktable, LightZone (commercial), Bibble 5 (commercial). These are all native apps.
01-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Something to note. Open Source software like Ubuntu can not be distributed with support for secret, proprietary formats, codecs and what-not in general. So you need to activate a "restricted" repository for application updates and bring in support for that stuff yourself
this might as well say.....
"before you land the space shuttle, turn the molecular dial to a neutral position and bring the nose of the spacecraft into vector 6"

as to the others....my old pc probably only has 1 gb of ram
01-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

Yeah, Ubuntu will go in fine as a first Linux distro, although I`m not very happy with it. Pure Debian is more to mine taste.

Frankly saying, UNIX-like OS + ufraw + GIMP is a pretty powerful combo. I even remember compiling ufraw + gimp on opensolaris
01-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm a happy camper with Ubuntu. Till the K5 came into my life, I used UFRAW for 95% of the PP (converting raw to jpeg, some ev comp and simple things with curves). UFRAW does not support the current PEF format and there is an issue with DNG which makes that you have to crop a small band at one side of the picture.

The disadvantage of Ubuntu: you will be stuck with the version of a software that they support on that version. New version of UFRAW available? Tough luck, wait till Ubuntu decides to use it (in a newer version of the distro). It will take a bit of effort to upgrade to something outside the distro (but it's not impossible).

I've recently installed darktable using instructions that I've found on pentaxuser.co.uk) and it looks as a very solid piece of PP software. I think it's overkill for my needs but it seems to work well.

Note on UFRAW: it only supports raw input, not jpeg
01-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this might as well say.....
"before you land the space shuttle, turn the molecular dial to a neutral position and bring the nose of the spacecraft into vector 6"

as to the others....my old pc probably only has 1 gb of ram
he means, you can't watch dvd's or play mp3 songs because the software that allows that belongs to other people. You will need to install things that allow you to watch or listen to them rather than them being present right when you finish the installation of the operating system.