Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What you edit the raw file, what do you save it as?
JPEG 1961.29%
PSD 39.68%
TIFF 26.45%
A combination of the above 516.13%
Other 26.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Raw Workflow

I still have to learn to process raw files efficiently and save them in the best format after. I need to buy an external hard drive to back up my pictures. These files are a lot bigger than I thought. An article I read recently said after your process the raw file, you should save it as a tiff file. Then I found a thread where some people said they save the picture as a jpeg or as a psd after they edit the raw file. So I wanted to know, what do most people convert the raw file to after they edit?

Edit: The first word in the poll is supposed to be 'after', not what. It won't let me edit the poll though.

01-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't necessarily assume that you have to output and then save most of your files. Just learn to use the right asset management tools from the beginning.

If one uses workflow management tools such as Lightroom or Aperture, the need to "save" an image as an file outside the tool, is much less. My file exports are only in response to output requirements: images destined for the web become jpegs; for outsourced printing usually TIFF or PSD in the aRGB color space; production houses like TIFF.

Once the image is delivered and fulfilled, I usually just toss the final file--no need to deal with all that. If you utilize virtual copies, snapshots, and version control in Lightroom it is very easy to export the same jpeg, TIFF, or PSD on demand, fulfill, and trash.

Of course there are exceptions--work with intensive Photoshop labor, or HDRs get saved and kept per above. But that's a very small proportion of the 100,000 images I manage.

M
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, you don't need to "save" it. Just export it in whatever format is appropriate for the intended use, otherwise just keep it in raw format so you aren't wasting space.