Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Prints look amazing...

Im pretty new to printing and after going through an cheap espon that I could never get to print right (could have been the cheep paper to..) I bought a canon mp550 and some Ilford Galerie Smooth HeavyWeight Matt.

Wow.. The prints look amazing, the paper seems to suck in light making blacks and colors pop.. Ive printed maby photo's and ran out of ink, so I bought some copy ink from a website. £16 to fill the printer instead of £50+ And the prints still look as good (actually look closer to my screen now).

So I went and ordered an a3 8ink version the canon 9000pro mII, but on looking Ilford don't do the matt paper I love in a3, only a4 .

So I was wondering, what paper do you guys use and why? Did any of you use Ilford Galerie Smooth HeavyWeight Matt paper and find something similar in a3? Id like not to have to spend £££ on paper but at the same time id love something thats good quality.

Any tips and experience you guys have would be helpful

01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We went for a high end printer last year, and since Pentax doesn't make one, I stooped to give Canon some of my money. Everything I learned told me the Epson, HP and Canon were pretty similar and I certainly had great results with my Epson r300 ( I got got almost for free with an apple computer), but I wanted larger. (Larger everything). I ended up with a Canon Pixma Pro 9500, the deciding factor being It went on sale ($300) off, and my research suggested Canons are better overall on ink, both cost and upkeep. I've been picking up Canon Pro Platinum for my best prints, and I bought a Canon variety pack to try out different papers, well a couple of them actually. That's probably the best way to go. The Premium Pro costs me about $4 a sheet.. so it's not cheap. For every day work I use Staples Photo Supreme gloss. It's still $2 a sheet (13x 19 inches) but still looks great, but not as good as a high end paper. What really fascinates me is the art papers. I did this one and a few others on heavy gauge art papers, makes you feel like you live in a museum.

01-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use hahnemulle and inkpress fine art papers and anf have olaso use the cnon pro silky (i am not a fan of glossy papers at all, never liked them in the darkroom, still don't in the digital world. the baryta warm tone is particularly nice for b/w prints
Inkpress makes sample packs that are very affordable so you can find the paper that works for you (actually i like most of the sample pack papers so i frequently just buy this as i will have different stock available for different prints/looks
I use the older Pro 9000, though i am trying to convince the director of finance to loosen the purse strings for a larger format printer as I have a show coming up and I think it would pay for itself in savings over sending things out within 1-2 shows - she isn't budging yet though
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a dye ink-based printer your M-550 has fewer art paper choices than say a pigment ink-based printer like the Canon 9500. Most of the fine art papers are developed with pigments as the preferred medium.

I enjoy the saturation of dye inks and have gotten excellent results with Ilford Classic Pearl paper. It's a moderate gloss. Ilford papers are good, just make sure you use the "Classic" line which is intended for dye inks. They also make a classic gloss that is excellent.

Epson Enhanced Matte Paper is a professional paper that works very well for all inks, and it's probably similar to the Ilford that you have and like. The basic Epson Gloss Paper works really well on dye and pigment. It's cheap so I use it as a glossy proofing paper.

You'll probably have to experiment to find the right printer settings for all of these papers, but do check out the manufacturers' websites for useage guidance.

M

01-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As a dye ink-based printer your M-550 has fewer art paper choices than say a pigment ink-based printer like the Canon 9500. Most of the fine art papers are developed with pigments as the preferred medium.

I enjoy the saturation of dye inks and have gotten excellent results with Ilford Classic Pearl paper. It's a moderate gloss. Ilford papers are good, just make sure you use the "Classic" line which is intended for dye inks. They also make a classic gloss that is excellent.

Epson Enhanced Matte Paper is a professional paper that works very well for all inks, and it's probably similar to the Ilford that you have and like. The basic Epson Gloss Paper works really well on dye and pigment. It's cheap so I use it as a glossy proofing paper.

You'll probably have to experiment to find the right printer settings for all of these papers, but do check out the manufacturers' websites for useage guidance.

M
Thank you, Ive also got a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II (not setup yet tho) but yes again its a dye based printer (From reviews I looked up its just as good or better than the pigment version for color but not for b/w). I didn't know alot of papers were being developed for pigment ink now, but I didnt have the other £150+ for the pigment version anyway (plus the inks are more).

Thanks Normhead and Eddie for your replys also, I really do have alot of learning to do when it comes to prints.. also about displaying them to... but that's another matter
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

best thing is buy the sample packs of a few find what works for you and go with it (samples are available at 8x10 as well a cheaper way to experiment with finishes etc.
01-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
best thing is buy the sample packs of a few find what works for you and go with it (samples are available at 8x10 as well a cheaper way to experiment with finishes etc.
Thanks Eddie that's a great idea

01-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sample packs are a good suggestion. I have the Pixma 9000 as well and when I want to print something I want to frame, I spend a little more money and often use the Ilford Classic Pearl. For normal prints I've used paper from Costco or Sams Club as their sources seem to be good.
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
So I was wondering, what paper do you guys use and why? Did any of you use Ilford Galerie Smooth HeavyWeight Matt paper and find something similar in a3? Id like not to have to spend £££ on paper but at the same time id love something thats good quality.

Any tips and experience you guys have would be helpful
I haven't been doing a ton of printing lately but when I do, I use Epson Paper ( Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte, Overview - Epson America, Inc. ) with a Canon Printer. I have the printing profile for Paper/Printer just right and each print is predictable, which is what most people want i.e. finished print match your computer screen, etc...

I like this Epson paper because it is heavy and very bright white, it's the bright white that I look for which makes the colors pop just a little bit more...