Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #1

silkypix settings grayed out

All of du4 silkypix settings in all panes are grayed out and can't be used. Is it possible to get pentax to do something about their software. I have lightroom but I wanted to try du4 first.

01-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the source image you loaded a .PEF?
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Without more information, this sounds more like a wetware issue than a software issue.
01-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
greyed out

You say it may be a 'wetware' issue more than a software one, I don't know what you mean. I have tried to install it on win7 and my old xp and it will not work. I hope the term 'wetware' isn't what I think it is, but I have all but given up on pentax software. Adobe seems to just work. Perhaps pentax might try emulating 'working' editing software.

01-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

So much for more information.
Which version of Pentax Software? Is it the one that came with your camera or a prior one?
I find it really hard to believe that the software just plain doesn't work, given that there would be a thread much like the low light front focusing issue were this the case.
01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Many Silkypix settings greyed out on my Mac!

QuoteOriginally posted by ianfromtas Quote
All of du4 silkypix settings in all panes are grayed out and can't be used. Is it possible to get pentax to do something about their software. I have lightroom but I wanted to try du4 first.
I have a similar problem, perhaps identical, when I use Silkypix on my MacbookPro. I don't have this problem on my Desktop running Windows Vista 64 bit OS. I gather you have this problem on your system with Windows 7 which I don't have so I can't comment on that.

The greyed out options might be where a lens is attached that doesn't have a data base in the software, e.g. when I use an old K mount lens, M 50 1.7, there are no electrical contacts so no chance of data about that lens being saved with the image file. Therefore I didn't expect to be able to alter any lens aberration in Silkypix and indeed the settings are greyed out. This is true whether I am using Silypix on the Mac or my PC with windows.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?
01-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waxsage Quote
I have a similar problem, perhaps identical, when I use Silkypix on my MacbookPro. I don't have this problem on my Desktop running Windows Vista 64 bit OS. I gather you have this problem on your system with Windows 7 which I don't have so I can't comment on that.

The greyed out options might be where a lens is attached that doesn't have a data base in the software, e.g. when I use an old K mount lens, M 50 1.7, there are no electrical contacts so no chance of data about that lens being saved with the image file. Therefore I didn't expect to be able to alter any lens aberration in Silkypix and indeed the settings are greyed out. This is true whether I am using Silypix on the Mac or my PC with windows.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?
Not quite, It was the side pane controls grayed out. However I seen to have fixed the problem by updating the software to 4.31. All is well with the software now. They must have realized there was a problem.
Thanks anyway.

01-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So much for more information.
Which version of Pentax Software? Is it the one that came with your camera or a prior one?
I find it really hard to believe that the software just plain doesn't work, given that there would be a thread much like the low light front focusing issue were this the case.
Ok, I updated the original utility4 to 4.31. I opened the program and selected a photo I had taken with the camera. A JPEG file. The right panel is grayed out except for blue buttons, which won't move. When I click on the photo again the program stops working and shuts down. In the right pane the exposure/tone, white balance and custom tab open but the controls don't operate. The laboratory and custom tabs open but I can't change any settings.
The software that came with the camera is utility 4 and I have a lot of trouble installing it, sometimes I try 3 times before it installs. Is there a setting I have to adjust or is the disk faulty?
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
selected a photo I had taken with the camera. A JPEG file.
What happens when you open a PEF file? This is a raw converter.

In the full SilkyPix (don't know about DCU) you can do some, but not all, processing on JPEGs as SP converts them to a pseudo-raw format internally. However things like WB only have relative adjustment possible. (Absolute WB info is lost in the original conversion to JPEG in the camera.)

Dan.
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
What happens when you open a PEF file? This is a raw converter.

In the full SilkyPix (don't know about DCU) you can do some, but not all, processing on JPEGs as SP converts them to a pseudo-raw format internally. However things like WB only have relative adjustment possible. (Absolute WB info is lost in the original conversion to JPEG in the camera.)

Dan.
OK . I don't know what a PEF file is. The camera saves to jpeg by default as I see it, and I should be able to adjust it as that. DO you mean I have to save every photo as a raw image? What is a PEF file and where do I go to get the full silkypix?
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
OK i found silkypix and pef raw image info, I will go from there. Thanks
01-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #12

Still problems with Silkypix on my MacbookPro!

OK i found silkypix and pef raw image info, I will go from there. Thanks
Glad to hear you may have a solution. I still can't run any slideshow with Silkypix on my MacbookPro, though I can access some of the editing parts of the software by accessing the windows tab on the menu bar! I also still get intermittent crashes with a dialogue box saying a report will be sent to Apple!

This can't be right as Silkypix works as I presume it should on my PC with Vista 64bit.
01-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waxsage Quote
Glad to hear you may have a solution. I still can't run any slideshow with Silkypix on my MacbookPro, though I can access some of the editing parts of the software by accessing the windows tab on the menu bar! I also still get intermittent crashes with a dialogue box saying a report will be sent to Apple!

This can't be right as Silkypix works as I presume it should on my PC with Vista 64bit.

Well I used raw files after the debacle last week. I also updated to 4.31 and definitely only used single clicks when opening a file. Dcu4 seems to only process raw files and does it very well. After the photo is adjusted I save it to /documents/pentax and it gives you the option to save it as a jpeg or other file types. Seems good now. Cheers. Ian
01-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #14

one down, one to go!

Well I used raw files after the debacle last week. I also updated to 4.31 and definitely only used single clicks when opening a file. Dcu4 seems to only process raw files and does it very well. After the photo is adjusted I save it to /documents/pentax and it gives you the option to save it as a jpeg or other file types. Seems good now. Cheers. Ian
Well Ian, that's good that you have got the software to run with Windows 7. I have just emailed Pentax tech people again with the problems that persist with running Silkypix on my Mac.

Is there anyone else out there with this problem?