Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks rawr and reeftool.

I thought I was going mad. I tried to post a reply last night, and the Picasa site has closed the issue to any new replies. Then I tried to post a question about it, and even though my question could not have been over 100 characters, I kept getting a popup that told me my details exceeded 8,000 odd characters and to shorten it. So I shortened it to one character, and got the same popup. Got the same useful help today.

Because I shoot in RAW (DNG) Picasa is no longer of much use. Too bad. I think maybe Google wants rid of it.

04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #17

if you upload directly to picasaweb, not using the picasa desktop, you'll retain all exif data. cheers
04-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ramallah Quote
if you upload directly to picasaweb, not using the picasa desktop, you'll retain all exif data. cheers
It's an issue with the desktop application. Google is aware of this issue and has yet to fix it. It's still outstanding.

Google Groups

It seems that any of us using Picasa have since moved on for various reasons. Such as the software bugs that have been outstanding for nearly two years. Also, Google's TOS for the Picasa service are very onerous. Like Facebook, Google claims non-exclusive rights to your creation in perpetuity. SmugMug, 500px and Flickr do not claim rights to your content. In fact they go out of their way to say that you own your creations.

However, I do still recommend Picasa to family and friends. Odds are they are shooting in JPG, don't care about EXIF or the rights to their photos. Picasa is a fantastic application for someone who needs to manage family photos and put them on the web for others to see.