Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Picasa 3 loses EXIF data

As soon as I updated Picasa to v. 3.8.0 (Build 117290) for Windows XP (64) I noticed that whenever I edited a RAW (DNG) file and saved it as a jpeg, Picasa stripped all of the EXIF data from the saved jpeg. The EXIF shows on the original DNG file.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a known fix for it? (Picasa help forum is non-responsive).

01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would look for a new setting somewhere that makes it get stripped. With Adobe stuff 'Save for Web' strips EXIF, not sure if Picasa has something like that.
01-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

Confirmed

Picasa is removing the EXIF data when you save the photo as a jpeg or upload it to Picasa web albums.

I took a quick look and there are no options to turn EXIF data on or off on export. I think it maybe a bug. I'm going to do some more digging.

Update: I found some forum posts on the Picasa help forums talking about corrupted data. A suggestion was to use ExifTool by Phil Harvey to repair the information. However, there is no data to repair. It would appear the EXIF data is gone.

On a related note, ExifTool is a command line too. There's GUI front-end that makes life much better: http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Last edited by stevecw; 01-23-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Updated information
01-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #4

Possible Bug

After some testing I'm sure it's a bug in the current version. I've started a thread on the help forums as their is no official way to submit a bug.

Possible bug: Picasa drops all EXIF data when saving DNG as JPEG - Picasa Help

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Picasa/thread?tid=5b677cec92f1f2a3&hl=...049a9ae799cccf This is an "official" thread for the bug.

Last edited by stevecw; 01-24-2011 at 10:28 AM.
01-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #5

Good news! Looks like Google has picked up the issue.

Updates at the end of the thread: All EXIF data lost when saving DNG photos to JPEG's - Picasa Help
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think once you hit "save", whether it be from RAW or jpeg, Picasa will strip away about 2/3rds of the EXIF.
You can see about 130 lines of information in the properties of an unsaved image but once you edit and save it is reduced to about 30 lines.
I really don't mind.
I was recently introduced to PhotoScape. It seems hugely fun and will not strip EXIF with jpeg anyway.

This is a toy I was playing with. The effect is all PhotoScape.
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Matt, "Exif not found"... So did you strip the exif?
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Matt, "Exif not found"... So did you strip the exif?
Well I see a full list of information in the exif posted to Flickr via PhotoScape compared with any type of edits done with Picasa's truncated list.
PhotoScape has a clear options when resizing or exporting and will ask whether you wish to allow all exif or strip.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 02-11-2011 at 12:31 PM.
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ahh, I see. So it's Flickr that strips the exifs after that then. The two you posted cointain no info in themselves.
02-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Flickr in my experience does NOT strip EXIF information, any of it.
02-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What I mean is that while the exif info can be displayed on flickr's own pages, the image in itself is stripped, as shown below.
Attached Images

02-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I can see why they would do that - when you upload, Flickr creates a number of different size images from your original and by detaching the EXIF it can store it once rather than once in each different size image. Not a big saving per image, but think how many images they have. It also lets the user decide if the viewer can see the EXIF or not.
04-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just in case anyone is interested, Picasa is still (April 21) stripping the EXIF from jpegs it creates from edited DNG files. Their help is worse than useless. After 4 months of waiting for any response, I give up on the program. Too bad. I really liked it until version 3.8 came along.
04-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I too have had bad experiences with the liberties Picasa takes with the files it opens. Not only in mangling EXIF, but also adding weird fields of it's own into the IPTC metadata area of files that breaks the display of EXIF info in some applications.

I shoot RAW+ (DNG+JPG's). For a long time now I have only been using Picasa to look at JPG's and have told it to not display DNG. DNG's get worked on outside of Picasa (in LR3, DXO, DCU4 etc).
04-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I have been a longtime fan of Picasa but since I have upgraded to Windows 7/64bit, it doesn't work well. While I don't edit much with it except for basic stuff, I loved the organizer and I used it for finding and posting all my shots online. The thumbnails disappear now although the folder is listed but without the thumbnails visible, the program has become useless. I can click on a folder and run a slide show and then the thumbnails will appear again. I'm not going to do that with 4 years worth of photos, only to have them disappear again. Too bad as I liked Picasa.