Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saving PEF file to DNG

Being new to the DSLR world, I have now ventured into experimenting shooting and processing in RAW.

I've been evaluating Adobe Elements 9, and am quite happy with my results so far with my tweaking my PEF files.

When I am done, and I save the file, Elements wants to save it as a DNG file, which I assume is OK. My question comes in now, as I have both the PEF and DNG file saved. Storage space isn't an issue for me yet, but I can see it becoming an issue especially if I am saving 2 RAW files for every shot.

So...is there a reason for me to keep both?
If I do elect to delete the PEF file, should I be able to open the DNG file again for another tweak if I need it?

Thanks for any input - I am really afraid to delete any file right now as I don't want to regret it later.

01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Why don't you shoot DNG directly since pentax uses lossless compression (from what I heard)? I did tried PEF before and found it's a waste of time since I have to convert to DNG as Lightroom doesn't recognize PEF. If there's any advantage using PEF I would like to know. I don't think you need to keep PEF copy after you have converted to DNG.

Regards,

Peter
01-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter - in my haste with my new-to-me camera, I didn't realize I had the option for the camera to save in DNG.

That solves my quandary!
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that the DNG file you are saving out of Photoshop is not the same as an out of camera DNG.
You would be far better to save your edited PEF files as tiff.

01-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Elements wants to save it as a DNG file
When saving the file, there should be a drop-down box that includes a dozen formats to save file in - including tiff, jpg, EPS, PSD etc.
01-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe it is a restriction of the trial software (Elements 9 downloaded from the Adobe site), but when saving a RAW file, the only option in the extension drop down box is dng or DNG.

Another setting I had used, was the check box for "embed original RAW file" - when I did this, it saved a DNG and a PEF - however I notice that the PEF file is the edited version as is the DNG.

I guess my original question was about saving the original PEF file (before editing), but it looks as if only the edited file is saved along with an exact copy of a DNG file.

Sorry about all this above - I am typing this all out to help me make sense of it all.

So, tomorrow I will adjust my camera settings to save in DNG, and just un-check the option to "embed original RAW file" - this way I will just have one edited file to save.
01-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know I am probably thinking into this too much, but I need to settle this in my mind before I can move on. I've done some more experimenting with a couple test images.

I have a DNG raw image from the camera.

I open it in Elements and make my adjustments.

I see now that I have 2 options from here:

1] Hit the "open image" button - this will automatically save the original raw image, plus open the image in the regular editor where I can save it as jpeg, tiff, etc.

2] Hit the "save image" button which will save the edited raw file thereby eliminating the original unedited file.

So, the only question I have left on this issue....
Do I want to use my option 1 above to always save the original raw file, or use option 2 that saves the edited version.

My gut says to use option 1 so you always have the original.

01-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #8

I've never been asked to save a RAW file after editing in Elements 9, and I always use PEF. You didn't say what model camera you have, but if it's the K-5 you'll need to run the update utility to download the latest version of ACR. To answer your last question, I consider a RAW file to be a negative, and never save any changes to it.
01-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blueline54 Quote
I've never been asked to save a RAW file after editing in Elements 9, and I always use PEF. You didn't say what model camera you have, but if it's the K-5 you'll need to run the update utility to download the latest version of ACR. To answer your last question, I consider a RAW file to be a negative, and never save any changes to it.
The camera is K20D.

As far as saving the edited version of the raw file, on the bottom left of the screen is the button to "save image" which saves the edited version and not the original. At first I was using this button, but now see that if I use the "open image" on the bottom right, it doesn't touch the original raw file, and opens a copy in the standard editor.

I think I have this all sorted now - thanks for all the help!
01-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
I did tried PEF before and found it's a waste of time since I have to convert to DNG as Lightroom doesn't recognize PEF. If there's any advantage using PEF I would like to know. I don't think you need to keep PEF copy after you have converted to DNG.
Can you explain to me how i've been using PEF files with light room for 18 months then.
02-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Note that the DNG file you are saving out of Photoshop is not the same as an out of camera DNG.
You would be far better to save your edited PEF files as tiff.
I'd save edited files as a PSD, complete with all the layers.
02-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Just shoot in .DNG
02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The camera is K20D.

As far as saving the edited version of the raw file, on the bottom left of the screen is the button to "save image" which saves the edited version and not the original. At first I was using this button, but now see that if I use the "open image" on the bottom right, it doesn't touch the original raw file, and opens a copy in the standard editor.

I think I have this all sorted now - thanks for all the help!
Ah, it makes perfect sense now. I always "open" the image and save the edited file as jpg (or other choice in the dropdown list). When I hit save instead of open (by accident) it does save as a DNG. In either event, the RAW file is never changed.
02-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #14

DNG disadvantage

I have discovered a disadvantage to DNG files. I recently bought DxO software and have found that while it will open original camera DNGs, it will not open converted DNGs i.e. files that have been converted to the DNG format by Adobe DNG Converter.

I have a lot of these converted DNG files that I converted from PEF files as I had a raw converter that would not read the newer PEF files but which would read converted DNG files. I also has a copy of the old Raw Shooter Essentials that would not read camera DNGs but which read them when they were converted to Adobe converted DNG files - go figure that one out!

I can convert the Adobe DNG files to Tifs and DxO reads these but it will not perform all the actions for which I bought DxO, on a tif file.

So if you are ever planning to use DxO, dont convert your original raw files to DNG unless you keep the originals.
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
I have discovered a disadvantage to DNG files. I recently bought DxO software and have found that while it will open original camera DNGs, it will not open converted DNGs i.e. files that have been converted to the DNG format by Adobe DNG Converter.

I have a lot of these converted DNG files that I converted from PEF files as I had a raw converter that would not read the newer PEF files but which would read converted DNG files. I also has a copy of the old Raw Shooter Essentials that would not read camera DNGs but which read them when they were converted to Adobe converted DNG files - go figure that one out!

I can convert the Adobe DNG files to Tifs and DxO reads these but it will not perform all the actions for which I bought DxO, on a tif file.

So if you are ever planning to use DxO, dont convert your original raw files to DNG unless you keep the originals.
That's actually a disadvantage with DxO. It's kinda too bad, I hear good things about them, but until they get over their snit with Adobe and offer full support to the DNG format, they aren't offering good support.
At least that's what I think