Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
wondering actually, isn't it no compression? A 10 Mega-pix RAW image is around 10 32-bit Mega-bytes in size, with some overhead for hearder inf o etc... no? It's what I thought anyway.
If there was no compression involved, the filesizes wouldn't vary as much as they do. On my average take, I range from 9-11MB, occassionally higher. DNGs (which are not compressed) are consistently 16MB iirc? The header info will have a minimal impact on file size. Think of how much text that would need before even making 250k. I sure as heck don't see that much information.

So I'm fairly sure that it's losslessly compressed.

10-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using non-Pentax software (AKA: Adobe)

A DNG will process sharper than a PEF

This is old news.. Since the first reviews of the K10D came out this has been known and well documented.
10-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Also, file size has nothing to do with anything.. PEF and DNG are both lossless and the RAW data contained in both is IDENTICAL!

The reason for the larger file sizes is simply the compression technique. Pentax chooses a compression technique that allows more shots per card. Adobe on the other hand, well, they don't make cameras so their objectives are slightly different.

As I said before, there will be NO difference in image quality between DNG and PEF when processing with Pentax software. There WILL be a difference when processing PEF and DNG with Adobe products. The Adobe products produce sharper results when converting DNG,.

So, let's recap here..

If you're using Pentax software, use the PEF file format as you will get more shots per card.

If you're using Adobe software, decide whether you want that small amount of sharpness or more card capacity.

Lastly, if you allow the Pentax software to default process your PEF images, the results will be identical to the jpeg's produced by the camera. The obvious benefit here is that with the PEF file you have far more freedom to manipulate the image beyond the default processing allowing you to possibly produce better images.
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Using non-Pentax software (AKA: Adobe)

A DNG will process sharper than a PEF

This is old news.. Since the first reviews of the K10D came out this has been known and well documented.
I've read many reviews of the K10D, and have never, ever heard such a thing. PEF files are sharper than JPEGs, not competing RAW formats. If you have a link to another opinion, it would come in handy for this thread. The OP has already repeated his test and gotten inverse results, which would nullify the original hypothesis.

10-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

There WILL be a difference when processing PEF and DNG with Adobe products. The Adobe products produce sharper results when converting DNG,.
I couldn't tell the difference between the DNG and the PEF in my experiment, examples given earlier in this thread.

I used CS3, and its default actions importing the RAW files in each case. No image mods, just conversion of a 100% crop from each to max quality JPG.

What is it you have to do to get it to make the DNG sharper?
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I've read many reviews of the K10D, and have never, ever heard such a thing. PEF files are sharper than JPEGs, not competing RAW formats. If you have a link to another opinion, it would come in handy for this thread. The OP has already repeated his test and gotten inverse results, which would nullify the original hypothesis.
Well, not only has this been discussed, proved and beaten like a dead horse but, it's true. A DNG, for whatever reason, produces sharper images when processed through Adobe than a PEF does.. I know, I too was wondering whether it was true or not but, I can assure you that if you do a 'newspaper' shot and process both photos in Adobe, the DNG will have better sharpness. And, I believe dpreview may have been the one to first point this out..

The answer to this (it appears to me) is that Adobe Camera RAW must produce a JPEG that is substantially sharper than the RAW image captured by the camera...

Last edited by Tom M; 10-17-2007 at 01:24 PM.
10-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Hey Tom M,

Is there any word on whether a PEF processed with Pentax software is as sharp as a DNG processed with Adobe software?

10-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Well dkittle, Since the resulting images are jpegs (you don't send RAW files to the developer or post RAW files on the web) and the Adobe Raw produces a sharper jpeg than that of a Pentax Raw file..

The way you guys have been testing this is flawed..

Shoot the exact same scene in DNG and then in PEF.

Process the PEF file through Pentax and output a jpeg.

Process the DNG file through Adobe and output a jpeg..

Compare the two jpegs. The Adobe jpeg will be sharper..

Last edited by Tom M; 10-17-2007 at 01:37 PM.
10-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well dkittle, Since the resulting images are jpegs (you don't send RAW files to the developer or post RAW files on the web) and the Adobe Raw produces a sharper jpeg than that of a Pentax Raw file..

The way you guys have been testing this is flawed..

Shoot the exact same scene in DNG and then in PEF.

Process the PEF file through Pentax and output a jpeg.

Process the DNG file through Adobe and output a jpeg..

Compare the two jpegs. The Adobe jpeg will be sharper..
I don't understand, sorry. It doesn't seem to be consistent with this:

A DNG, for whatever reason, produces sharper images when processed through Adobe than a PEF does.. I know, I too was wondering whether it was true or not but, I can assure you that if you do a 'newspaper' shot and process both photos in Adobe, the DNG will have better sharpness.
... which is what I did, and I couldn't see any difference.

Could you elaborate please?
10-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well, not only has this been discussed, proved and beaten like a dead horse but, it's true. A DNG, for whatever reason, produces sharper images when processed through Adobe than a PEF does.. I know, I too was wondering whether it was true or not but, I can assure you that if you do a 'newspaper' shot and process both photos in Adobe, the DNG will have better sharpness. And, I believe dpreview may have been the one to first point this out..

The answer to this (it appears to me) is that Adobe Camera RAW must produce a JPEG that is substantially sharper than the RAW image captured by the camera...
I think you're confusing the issue. The OP stated that a PEF and DNG both processed in ACR/Lightroom/Whatever will show a different image quality. Yes, your scenario is true because the Pentax software sucks. But you can process a PEF file in ACR/Lightroom/Whatever software and get identical looking shots.

I haven't ever processed a single RAW file in Pentax Photo Lab because the UI is horrendous. I don't really care what the output is.
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM   #41
Inactive Account

I know Sean is right in this post. If you process anything with the Pentax software ( and god why would you) (Ok it may be the only processing software you have ) It will never be the quality of lightroom. ARC is much better to process with and you can get close to true. but then again Dng files are digital negativities and pef are the RAW files which contain all the data. Question? when you convert a PEF to DNG have you checked your file size. If you notice they are not the same size. Also I think it would be much better to convert the PEF to TIFF and process those files before converting anything to JPEG. I think you will see the difference is much better for Lightroom to accept and process.
10-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
wondering actually, isn't it no compression? A 10 Mega-pix RAW image is around 10 32-bit Mega-bytes in size, with some overhead for hearder inf o etc... no? It's what I thought anyway.
You're not correct. Pentax RAW file is 12 bit, so RAW image data is ~10Mpixs×12bit which results in ~15Mbytes. Add some overhead info (EXIF, preview JPEG) and you have uncompressed DNG ~16MB in size. Compressed PEF is ~10MB.

Regarding 123K10D findings... Well, he didn't post any pictures to prove his statement. Also his statement contradict to my personal experience. Could it be that his Lightroom applies different sharpening amount to PEF and to DNG and therefore he gets sharper looking DNG than PEF?
10-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm not sure why it's true but, Adobe processes RAW images better than Pentax does.

Though, there seems to be some Pentax statement supporting the differences not being by accident. I beleive that the President of Pentax some time after the release of the K10D stated in an interview that their approach to final images was somewhat different from that of Canon or Nikon, etc.. He stated that they attempted to give the images a film-like quality that is missing on current DSLR's.. From this statement one could guess that the reason the images don't process as sharp with the Pentax software is they feel it provides a 'closer to film look' and is intentional.
10-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #44
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Regarding 123K10D findings... Well, he didn't post any pictures to prove his statement. Also his statement contradict to my personal experience. Could it be that his Lightroom applies different sharpening amount to PEF and to DNG and therefore he gets sharper looking DNG than PEF?
He posted a retraction of his findings in another thread.

Thanx for the clarification on the file-size question I was mistaken on.
10-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #45
and
Veteran Member

heh yeah I am surprised to see this thread is still alive and kicking after that other thread was posted