Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photoshop software

I am interested in new software to download raw files to print and store. I'm note to computer savy, but want software that works well and not to complicated. I looked at Adobe Lightroom, do I start out with one and add upgrades as I feel that I need more options. I have K20D and don't need anything to exspensive. Jerry

02-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well if you get lightroom 3 it is a good program to edit raw files in and jpeg if you want they have the basic editing tools and also the advanced ones also if you want to learn about "LR" i can send you a copy on line of a book i have to help learn the program.
02-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

BUY Photoshop Element 8 , this will more than enough for your need
02-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can do download free 30 day trials of each program: photoshop, elements, and lightroom.
Adobe - Downloads
That's a good way of finding out which one you like best.
Also if you want to save money you could buy older versions, just make sure it's compatible with your computer.

02-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When you come to buy, depending what software you choose, look into gettng a student licence. For Photoshop it might be cheaper to sign up for some further education and get a student licence than get a retail licence!
02-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since you state you're not computer savvy, I have a suggestion. Check with your local community college and/or adult education to see if any offer classes on post processing photo software. If so, take the class and if possible, but the same software they use. Another option is to join a local photography club and see if anyone is interested in lessons.

Photo processing isn't brain surgery, but some help for a novice will go a long way towards avoiding frustrations.
02-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I use Photoshop Element 8 and I love it. Easy to use.

02-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I also use PS Elements 8. It's easy to use but it isn't the strongest at processing RAW files. It does do the basics and then you can do more in Elements itself. I think the program is really meant for people like me that shoot in JPEG more than RAW. (ducking down and hiding behind my hands)
02-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Elements and Photoshop both use Adobe Camera Raw to process raw files, and I find the better I get with it the less I need to do with Photoshop.
02-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Elements and Photoshop both use Adobe Camera Raw to process raw files, and I find the better I get with it the less I need to do with Photoshop.
Yes, both PS & PSE have Adobe Camera Raw, however the verion in PSE should really be called ACR Lite (in my opinion).
Lightroom is the program to use for real RAW development. (again IMO)
02-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I switched from the Elements to Photoshop, didn't notice any difference in ACR. What do you think is missing in the Elements version?
02-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You are correct it's not the same but as a beginner that could be well than enought

Here a video explaining the difference
See Middle of the page
The differences in Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop and Elements
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Inactive Account

That's an interesting link. I'll have to investigate it when I have more time. I learned about the differences while trying to learn how to work with raw. Most things I read were telling me about functions I didn't have access to. This led me to do most of my shooting in jpeg since it fits the majority of my end uses.
02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by firstshot Quote
I am interested in new software to download raw files to print and store. I'm note to computer savy, but want software that works well and not to complicated. I looked at Adobe Lightroom, do I start out with one and add upgrades as I feel that I need more options. I have K20D and don't need anything to exspensive. Jerry
Like you, I wasn't too up on the software, all my experience with photography was film and in the darkroom. I tried Photoshop for a trial period, but felt it was more than I needed or wanted to learn.

I invested in Lightroom 3, which is extremely good for managing RAW files, and for most of the editing one will need for respectable RAW files. Yet it lacks the ability to really work with a photo on specific spots, and in detail, and cool tools like stitching shots together for a panoramic picture.

So I added Elements, along with Topaz ReMask. You can link Lightroom and Elements together using Lightroom as a RAW file manager and basic editor, and then when a photo needs more detailed or specialized work, naming Elements as your "external" editor. Of course, the Topaz products are plug ins, so they too become integrated into your photo management/editing system; the ReMask plug in makes using layers in Elements so much easier and more fun.

All in all the cost (if you look for bargains and coupons) is about half that of Photoshop but gives you all the best things of Photoshop (or better, as in how ReMask helps with layers), plus you can build it gradually as you get funds, it's a lot easier to learn incrementally, and is less cumbersome to use (since you only call up what you need to use outside of Lightroom). Topaz also offers more plug ins (and seems most oriented toward Adobe products, which Lightroom and Elements are), which nicely supports the modular approach to building your digital darkroom.

If that idea appeals to you and budget is a concern, buy Lightroom 3 first, then Elements, and lastly Topaz plug ins; take advantage of Adobe's extensive free video tutorials to learn each before buying the next program.
02-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
krp
Veteran Member

I didn't know Elements was compatible with plug ins like those from Topaz.