Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
HDR, Megapixels, and Software

i just started reading about HDR and thought it would be something different to try out.

I do have a K20D however my lens still has a day left before it gets here. so i whipped out my kodak easyshare p850 to try and get some basic bracketed shots to giv HDR a try.

now, being a 5 megapixel camera, i know that quality is going to be lacking in comparison to professional level HDR images, or any for that matter but thats not the point.

The main point of this thread is to see if anyone has experience with Qtpfsgui. i know that photoshop or something elese with a price tag on it will render more pleasing results, but from what ive read and heard on youtube, Qtpfsgui isnt all that bad. i downloaded it and have used it on a couple of different multiple exposures to try and create a nice HDR. but no matter how i tweak the settings, it always looks TERRIBLE.

is the major dysfunction the 5 megapixels? is it possibly the fact that im doing JPEG for now and not RAW? is it just the Software? maybe a combo of all three?

i have used the search function but wasnt able to find any answers close enough to what im asking. any help/ advice will be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance

02-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

HDR is very easy...to get "wrong". For me, they tend to look unnatural and soft. Some people like it and that's OK.

I'm sure it involves a bit of practice.
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

Before I had my first Pentax camera (*istDS) I was using Panasonic FZ50 bridge camera. It's 10MP and it even has raw mode. But like you, I never got pleasing HDR with my FZ50 with using raw files and Photomatix for the HDR. Eventually, I managed to get a couple not bad results but this was after further post processing with Photoshop.

FZ50's HDR

As you can see it's not very good but I think it's more because of my lacking Photoshop skill.

Then I bought *istDS and the first HDR i tried, using JPEGs, came out a lot better and a lot more HDR-like, without having to mess with it in Photoshop.

Here's the HDR from my lowly 6MP *istDS + kit lens straight from HDR software (Photomatix):

And here what I consider my best HDR so far, taken with K-x and DA 15Ltd (Photomatix and further Photoshop post-processing)

So in my experience, you can do HDR with a pocket / bridge camera but it's much easier with a DSLR (or mirrorless).
02-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
well that makes me feel a little better. my results were looking like that first one at the absolute best. i wouldnt call myself an experienced photo editor, but i do know how to enhance them with more of the basic programs and just couldnt figure out was was going wrong.

that helps a lot. thanks.

also, have you found that it is best to try HDR in lower light conditions or will just about anything do?

02-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used Qtpfsgui and been quite pleased with it. I also had a play with hdrtist which I quite liked. There are a few samples in my flickr, with the settings in the description, if that helps? All mine were done with the k10d
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a huge fan of HDR, but it took me a while to get right (if I ever did).

Because HDR opens the shadows it seems to give 'wrap around' light as in the first one.

The second shows the detail you get.

Both taken with my trusty K10D, could have been designed for HDR.

Chris
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   

Last edited by ChrisJ; 02-18-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite HDR program is Artizen. It is inexpensive and has photoshop plugins.
I have been using it for years and love the natural look I can create, but also dramatic looks.

Here is the link:
SCI Fhotoroom Home Page | Edit and Share your Photos

02-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulfromTexas Quote
also, have you found that it is best to try HDR in lower light conditions or will just about anything do?
I think, all conditions will do but the more contrasty (more dynamic range) the condition the more shots you need to make the HDR (so instead of 3 maybe you need 5) because more shots are required to cover all the dynamic range of the image.
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

Chris, what software did you use for the 2 HDR examples you just posted?
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

workflow

photomatix is still the leader in my opinion - because of the tone mapping abilities.
try some of the filter sets out there.
i use topaz adjust and noiseware. i dig all kinds of HDR images but the halos and the LSD looking ones i can do without. its another creative form of photography - like it or not!
Attached Images

02-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Forum Member

I have not done a lot of HDR but did find that I liked the results of SNS-HDR. I have been using the Lite version which is free. I think it is gives a slightly more natural look. Here is an example that I took last summer
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo