Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
My main computer has Ubuntu on it. I still use my old license of Photoshop CS2 in WINE instead of Gimp.

Gimp just feels so slow....

I wish Adobe would get their act together and support Linux.
LOL! CS2 is from 2005. GIMP 2.6 runs nice on modern architecture.
I could never get CS2 to work with Wine.

Linux is finally a contender and not a geeks' toy. There are a lot more developers now and a lot more users. Android is Linux.
I think Adobe will come around once some of the VPs are rotated out.

02-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
LOL! CS2 is from 2005. GIMP 2.6 runs nice on modern architecture.
I could never get CS2 to work with Wine.
CS2 might be older, but it's still faster and more streamlined in my book. Even just changing the hue of a K-5 sized image in GIMP, the image slowly gets updated from top to bottom in a few seconds. I am running a quad-core cpu, 8gb ram, 10000 rpm boot drive, raid 10 disk array (4 disk striped mirrors), etc... Plus, even with whatever version of camera raw I'm running, that's also faster that UFRaw or whatever else is out there. I have most of the linux equivalents installed on my computer, but they just feel awkward and slow.

Whatever the mechanisms for image modification to the user's visual display is in GIMP, it's frankly slow and un-professional feeling. When I change a brightness slider, it shouldn't update slowly like that. CS2 is for the most part is instantaneous with user feedback in everything besides some filters.

CS2 works 99% on WINE... I even have the 3rd party noise ninja plugin running okay.
02-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ever tried Win95 on a new box?
Boots in like 5 seconds.