Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photo Tents

Has anyone used a photo tent outside? I have a number of trophies to take photos of, and want a nice plain background and diffuse light. However I don't have any lights, so the thought is to use it outside either on an overcast day, or in the shadows if it's sunny. As well as the trophies I keep having odd things to sell on Fleabay.

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about:
Photo Light Tents, Photo Light Cubes, Photographic Tents, Tabletop Photography | Steve's Photo Shop

Arghhh!!! This is in the wrong forum and I can't see how to delete it!

02-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a very similar set up to this. Instead of lamps I have two Pentax flash guns on plastic feet and both wireless works perfectly
02-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Kai

I tried to set this up outside thinking why waste electricity. Lighting was good but you should set your white balance often. And watch for reflection from your subject.
02-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, that's good to know. What sort of light did you have? Bright sunlight? If so, from behind the tent? In the shade? Diffuse light on an overcast day? Enquiring minds and all that...

I'll be shooting RAW so the white balance should be easy to fix, plus once it's set up it won't take long to do all of them - the tricky ones will be the salver and possibly the shield as I will have to prop them up. Am hoping the shield (mostly wood) has a stand on the back!

02-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Kai

It was bright sunlight to about almost 2 hours before sunset. The tent was in a shade. I tried both from one side and from the back. I did not even try on an overcast day at all. Somebody said it might turn out too blue. I thought the result was pretty good.

One thing I found was a bigger tent would give you more room to work with. Smaller one is a bit limiting! Oh, they measure diagonally. I bought a 14" thinking 14"x14"14". Nahhh, it was about 12.5"x12.5"X12.5". Lesson learned. Not sure if it was the same in the UK.
02-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I've ordered an 80cm tent! Yes, the light is blue in the shade, that's what white balance will fix.