Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apple Updates Macbook Pros

The 13 inch gets the Dual Core i5, the 15 & 17 inch get Quad Core i7s. They also introduce Apple's implementation of LightPeak, branded as Thunderbolt I/O. No major redesign, no IPS display. Maybe next year.

QuoteQuote:
“The new MacBook Pro brings next generation dual and quad Core processors, high performance graphics, Thunderbolt technology and FaceTime HD to the great design loved by our pro customers,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Thunderbolt is a revolutionary new I/O technology that delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second and can support every important I/O standard which is ideal for the new MacBook Pro.”

Starting at $1,199 the new 13-inch MacBook Pro features Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors up to 2.7 GHz and Intel HD Graphics 3000. The powerful 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models feature quad-core Core i7 processors up to 2.3 GHz and AMD Radeon HD graphics processors with up to 1GB of video memory for high performance gaming, pro video editing and graphics intensive applications.

MacBook Pro is the first computer on the market to include the unique Thunderbolt I/O technology. Developed by Intel with collaboration from Apple, Thunderbolt enables expandability never before possible on a notebook computer.

Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to an amazing 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters.

Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

The MacBook Pro now includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera with triple the resolution of the previous generation for crisp, widescreen video calls. With Apple’s FaceTime video calling software, the new camera allows high definition video calls between all new MacBook Pro models and supports standard resolution calls with other Intel-based Macs, iPhone 4 and the current generation iPod touch.

FaceTime is included with all new MacBook Pro models and is available for other Intel-based Macs from the Mac App Store for 99 cents. The MacBook Pro lineup continues to feature its aluminum unibody enclosure, glass Multi-Touch trackpad, LED-backlit widescreen display, illuminated full-size keyboard and 7-hour battery.

Every Mac notebook achieves EPEAT Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed with recyclable materials.

Every Mac comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife, Apple’s suite of applications for creating and sharing photos, movies and music.

Pricing & Availability

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro, 15-inch MacBook Pro and 17-inch MacBook Pro are available through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The 13-inch MacBook Pro is available in two configurations: one with a 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and 320GB hard drive starting at $1,199; and one with a 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,499.

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,799 and one with a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive starting at $2,199.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive and is priced at $2,499.

Configure-to-order options include faster quad-core processors up to 2.3 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 750GB, solid state storage up to 512GB, more memory up to 8GB DDR3, antiglare and high-resolution display options and AppleCare® Protection Plan. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at Apple - MacBook Pro - The new MacBook Pro. Huge leaps in performance..

02-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apple also released the first developer preview of OS X Lion. You have to be a member of the $99/year developer program to get it.

Mac Developer Program - Apple Developer
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Sounds like the perfect time to buy the old model on clearance/refurbished. I did that when they did the last big update and saved $800. I wish camera body prices plummeted that far when new models are released.
02-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
Sounds like the perfect time to buy the old model on clearance/refurbished. I did that when they did the last big update and saved $800. I wish camera body prices plummeted that far when new models are released.
Very true, and other than Thunderbolt of which I have nothing to use it for is not much better than my 2010 model.

02-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Very true, and other than Thunderbolt of which I have nothing to use it for is not much better than my 2010 model.
Except for the fact that Apple is claiming the new models are 2x to 3x faster than the Core 2 Duo models. (2x faster processors & 3x faster graphics)

Apple - MacBook Pro - Superfast processors, graphics, and I/O.
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Aside from nerfing the graphics on the 13", nice update.
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In other Apple news, retailers are being told that there will be no more boxed or bundled copies of MobileMe. MobileMe is also no longer an option when buying from the Apple web store. Something new is coming next week at the media event.
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Aside from nerfing the graphics on the 13", nice update.
Apple didn't nerf the graphics on the 13". It is using the Intel HD 3000 which has roughly the same performance as the Nvida 320M the previous model used. Everything I've read about the HD 3000 is that it is the first GMA chipset that doesn't totally suck. And it's built into the CPU so Apple can include Thunderbolt I/O on the logic board without getting rid of the optical drive.

02-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Apple didn't nerf the graphics on the 13". It is using the Intel HD 3000 which has roughly the same performance as the Nvida 320M the previous model used. Everything I've read about the HD 3000 is that it is the first GMA chipset that doesn't totally suck. And it's built into the CPU so Apple can include Thunderbolt I/O on the logic board without getting rid of the optical drive.
We'll see. I've yet to see anything decent come out of an integrated Intel GPU.
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More news for the converted.

Apple the is most Admired Company , reported in Fortune Magazine