Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't delete K-5 PEF's from iPad

I have a bit of a problem.

I got a camera connection kit for my iPad for the purpose of using the iPad to back up my SD cards from my K-5 in the field. I was shooting Raw+jpeg using PEF. It worked great, all files successfully were copied to the iPad and I could use the iPad in the field to review and evaluate the take.

The recommended work-flow is to import everything from the device into iPhoto and then delete the items from the iPad after import. I successfully imported the SD cards into Lightroom and backed them up to my backup drive, so now I just want to delete all of them from the iPad. Even though the iPad can display the PEF files, iPhoto says it does not recognize them, so I get an error that says they cannot be imported.

I'm not worried about that, but since I can't import them, I can't delete them either. I cannot see how to delete photos imported to the iPad in iTunes, or in the photo app of the iPad itself, so I think I have a situation where I have a bunch of photos on my iPad that cannot be deleted.

I'm hoping I missed something and another friendly PF member has an idea for a workaround to the little catch-22.

02-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This might help. iPhoto will process K5 PEF files, but only if you update to Apple RAW support 3.6.

A photographer's workflow for the iPad | Accessories | Digital Photo | Macworld

QuoteQuote:
When you plug the iPad into the Mac and launch iPhoto, the JPEGs and the raws will show up as separate files. Simply select all of the raw images for import by Command-clicking them. When the "Delete Photos on Your iPad?" message appears, click "Delete Photos." iPhoto will remove the raw files from your iPad and leave the JPEGSs behind for you to view, edit, or send along to others.

If you're not an iPhoto user, you can opt to let Image Capture handle the heavy lifting. Before importing files, be sure to check the box in the lower left corner by "Delete After Import." Then choose the raw files in Image Capture's import browser, select the destination (such as a connected external hard drive where all your other raw files are stored), and click Import. Just like with iPhoto, Image Capture will put the raw files where you want, remove them from the iPad, and leave only the JPEGs in the iPad library
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on the Apple RAW support. I saw that article, which is what I was basing my work-flow on. I thought I had updated to the latest, but I'll have to check that out.

UPDATE:
It looks like the problem is I have to update to iPhoto 9. Apple RAW support 3.6 is not compatible with iPhoto 8.x. Gotta love Apple, now I have to spend $15 to delete files from my iPad.

Last edited by GregK8; 02-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
02-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Thanks for the tip on the Apple RAW support. I saw that article, which is what I was basing my work-flow on. I thought I had updated to the latest, but I'll have to check that out.

UPDATE:
It looks like the problem is I have to update to iPhoto 9. Apple RAW support 3.6 is not compatible with iPhoto 8.x. Gotta love Apple, now I have to spend $15 to delete files from my iPad.
Try Image Capture first.