Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apple Intros iPad 2

New Dual-Core processor twice as fast as the previous processor.

Lighter and thinner, front & back cameras, 10 hour battery life.

Big addition is new connector that allows video mirroring up to 1080p. It will work with any app and supports rotation.

The new killer apps are iMovie & Garageband. $5 each.

Keynote is up now.

Apple Special Event March 2011

The quote about there never being a device like this for photography is about 7 1/2 minutes in, when he's talking about the 65,000 apps available for the iPad. He's looking at the National Geographic app at that moment. There's a Fotopedia app as well.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
03-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Ipad 1 now feels sad and lonely... ;(
03-02-2011, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Apple Intros iPad 2
Thank you for the Apple ad.

This is digital processing, software and printing.... Unless the stupid thing runs Lightroom, why even bother mentioning it here.
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thank you for the Apple ad.

This is digital processing, software and printing.... Unless the stupid thing runs Lightroom, why even bother mentioning it here.
Because you can view, edit, and print photos from it. In fact, as part of SJ's RDF he even mentioned that there has never been a better device for photgraphers. Welcome to my ignore file.

03-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Still holding out for a higher res display.
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because you can view, edit, and print photos from it. In fact, as part of SJ's RDF he even mentioned that there has never been a better device for photgraphers. Welcome to my ignore file.
I thought many photographers would like to use an app related to Adobe's Lightroom for immediate importing, tagging, and initial review and possibly screening of photos. Because of Apple's restrictions on direct writing of files and a few other technical issues, this is not apparently possible at this time, according to Adobe?
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I thought many photographers would like to use an app related to Adobe's Lightroom for immediate importing, tagging, and initial review and possibly screening of photos. Because of Apple's restrictions on direct writing of files and a few other technical issues, this is not apparently possible at this time, according to Adobe?
The iPad is accessible from iPhoto, Image Capture, and Aperture. As far as Apple is concerned Adobe can get bent.

03-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Still holding out for a higher res display.
Just don't hold your breath. It's going to be another year.
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #9

I didn't realize that an iPad was better than a computer running PS or Lightroom to edit photos. Steve sure knows how to hype an oversized ipod touch.
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

In fact, as part of SJ's RDF he even mentioned that there has never been a better device for photgraphers.
What about cameras?

Does it have a USB or SD card slot yet?
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Does it have a USB or SD card slot yet?
No, and it never will. That's what the Camera Connection Kit is for. If you need a USB port or SD card slot then you need a MacBook Air. The iPad is not a laptop replacement, it's an information device that can do some of the things a laptop does.
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been wanting one, but think I'll continue to hold out. Thought about using it to as a portfolio presentation device, but have heard of slow transfer rates and image resizing pains. I shoot raw and would hate to convert/resize all my images to make it natively fit the screen.
03-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am sometimes away from my computer for weeks at a time. Just to have a look at the days shooting would be a blessing. I've yet to decide a laptop would be worth the weight.. so interesting, and I used iPhoto as my main cataloguing program right from when it first became available. Cheap and dirty, but it would be a joy in the field. Trouble is, I have an old 500 mhz G-3 with a 6 hour battery. Hard to pay for something new when you have something that will do.
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I've been wanting one, but think I'll continue to hold out. Thought about using it to as a portfolio presentation device, but have heard of slow transfer rates and image resizing pains. I shoot raw and would hate to convert/resize all my images to make it natively fit the screen.
The iPad automatically resizes the photos to a 2048 x 1360 JPEG. In the only test of transfer speed I've seen a 4GB card (RAW + JPEG) was uploaded in 7min 20sec. The same card on a MacBook took 5min 45sec.

File transfers after PP are handled by iTunes, again resizing is handled automatically.
03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There are some excellent photo apps available for the ipad to do simple to detail editing.. I particularly like Photogene and Filterstorm. It is not as detailed as LR or Aperature but when you are on the road and want to do a quick edit it can handle that. I have the fist gen iPad and love it. It is my primary device for editing photos. I use iPhoto primarily on my macbook for my photo library, but just recently installed aperature to give it a test drive.

There are rumors of a iPad3 by fall with a retna display.. that will be sweet!!!