Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When Adobe releases a new version of software, development on the older version halts. So, if you buy a camera after a new version of Photoshop is released, you will not get support on the older version.
OTOH, you can upgrade the entire Photoshop program for a couple of hundred dollars.
What you are asking is pretty much free updates for life, which may not be realistic. At some point, they would have to start charging for raw converter updates and you would be right back where you started.
As a workaround, Adobe does offer a FREE raw converter on their website that will convert your recent camera model files to DNG, which can then be opened on your older version of Photoshop.

For myself, I'd just start shooting DNG and be done with it.
I know you can update the whole program for a few 100 dollars, but that is my point. WHy not just 10-20 dollars for an update to be able to use new raw. I don't need to update CS3 I am happy with it. To me it just seems make money, make money. as much as possible.

03-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I know you can update the whole program for a few 100 dollars, but that is my point. WHy not just 10-20 dollars for an update to be able to use new raw. I don't need to update CS3 I am happy with it. To me it just seems make money, make money. as much as possible.
That is what Adobe is in business to do. The only responsibility Adobe has as a corporation is to make as much value for the share holders as possible.
03-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course it's a way to make money. That's what Adobe does.
Anyway, they give you a free way to use CS3 with your K7 PEF files, so they aren't totally immoral about it.
They just stop supporting old software when they introduce new software.
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know what you are asking, but as a side note, I just up dated from CS3 to CS5 and it was well worth it, especially if you are working with pictures where you are either fixing old photos or editing things out of pictures.

03-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

And also I have a minolta dula 4 scanner, and because of this I still have XP, and do not desire to upgrade as it is s very fine scanner and I like it
You can get a Windows Vista and 7 driver for your K-M Scan Dual IV here.
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

As mentioned updating ACR (free), should get PEF support. As for scanner issues, a third party scan program such as Silverlight can get you around driver issues if your manufacturer doesn't have an updated driver. It's better scanning software than the crap that comes with the scanner anyhow if your are scanning film and slides.
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As mentioned updating ACR (free), should get PEF support.
Sorry but it won't in this case. Adobe distinguishes between PEFs from different Pentax cameras, and the first version of ACR that supported the K7 was 5.4. That is for CS4 but the OP has CS3 so that update is no use to him.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Camera Raw 5.4 update

The full list of ACR updates is at:
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

03-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I still have PS CS3 and for a while used Adobe's free DNG converter. Set it on the PEF files and it converts them to DNG. You can still save the PEFs if you want, or shoot in that format in the first place. It's an extra step but that's what you get for free.

The DNG Converter gets updated frequently and works with the K-5. Now I use Lightroom with my raw files and send the few shots that need extra work to Photoshop.
03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Honest question: Is there any real-world reason to use .PEF in this situation? I always thought one of the great things about pentax was the ability to shoot .DNG in camera. This has always been great for me as I don't update Photoshop ever new release. I realize there's a slight difference in file size, but with memory cards being generally inexpensive, this doesn't seem like the issue it was years ago.

I sympathize with those unhappy with the lack of support in older versions, but I also understand that because each company has their own proprietary RAW files, Adobe has to reverse engineer each one individually every time a new camera comes out (companies do not provide them to Adobe.) So that's obviously an expense and I guess that's why they make the cut off. I'm not defending them... just pointing that out.
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I do like CS3, and have no need to upgade (apart not beeing able to open PEF). WHy can't they just update? It is software, it shouldn't be too difficult.
If I do some darrkroom time, I still use my enlarger from the 70's, and it works perfectly with my negs that I have just shot.

Can anybody with more understanding explain to me why they can't do it. Is there something with the sofware, or do they really just try to take our money in which ever way they can.

Lets see. You bought your enlarger. It still works, but you also don't ask the company that made it to do any thing for you or upgrade it in any way for free. It works the way it worked when you bought it with the parts and components it worked with at that time.

Your software works with exactly what it worked with at that time in much the same way. But you expect Adobe to upgrade it to be compatible with stuff that didn't exist then for free when they are in the business of making software for money.

Shoot in DNG and it should work. If you want PEF support for a camera that does not put out the same thing in it's PEF files as previous ones do, you will have to pay someone for that.

If you think adobe's products are too expensive, there is a long list of competitors. Pretty much all of them make a point of competing on price.
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like I said before, I do not ask for things to be free, but why the need to buy a whole new package, or a whole upgrade. And for me they are expensive, I cannot just cash out that kind of money on a regular basis. That's why I said, why not upgrade for 20 euro's or so just the raw converter.
03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Like I said before, I do not ask for things to be free, but why the need to buy a whole new package, or a whole upgrade. And for me they are expensive, I cannot just cash out that kind of money on a regular basis. That's why I said, why not upgrade for 20 euro's or so just the raw converter.
Unfortunately, Adobe has never done business that way. When they release a new version, they stop updating the old one.
Just use the DNG converter on your PEF files, or better still, switch over to shooting DNG.
DNGs out of your K7 will open just fine in CS3 Camera Raw.