Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Learning Lightroom 3

What's the best way to learn Lightroom 3? Which books, courses or websites would you recommend?

Thanks
Ross

03-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The problem with 'the best way' is that there isn't one single best way - we all learn in different ways and have different amounts of previous experience, some of which might help and some of which might hinder.

If you Google I'm sure there are lots of tutorial websites out there, and try them until you find one that works for you. Also cruise bookshops - there is Lightroom for Dummies, I'm sure there are other books, browsing might help.

Suspect there are several aspects to it - at a minimum developing your RAW images, getting a workflow that works for you, and managing your photos - I gather Lightroom is rather better at that than Photoshop.
03-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's HARD!

I'm taking a break from my second attempt at learning LR. Maybe it's my age but I just find it very difficult to get my head around it. With a little searching, you can find on-line tutorials like here but I think I really need an in-person tutor.
03-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scott Kelby's book on lightroom is pretty good:

Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321700919): Scott Kelby: Books

03-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yukoner777 Quote
What's the best way to learn Lightroom 3? Which books, courses or websites would you recommend?
I got a good boost from...

Amazon.com: Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (Voices That Matter): David duChemin: Books

Lots of time is spent on the "Develop" module. He provides RAW images for the reader practice that correspond to his step-by-step examples. He employs a very specific approach to PP, so when he selects a tool, it is for a specific purpose and look. Once you get a sense of his "big impact based" style, you can take off on your own, develop your own style, and better understand how you got there and why. Keep in mind his examples are directed and bringing out the best from photographs taken by a Canon 5D III. You may find your Pentax files have a slightly different look (K-x, K-7, K-5 are better IMHO), so the tweaks he recommends may need to differ, slightly.

If you wish to learn the cataloging "Library", or LR's other modules, the Kelby book mentioned in an earlier post is excellent. I have Kelby's book and use it as a technical reference. Kelby is very good at describing how to use each tool in LR. His approach is more nuts and bolts, or "cook book-ish" than the 'get started' book I suggest, above.

Finally, once you get a good sense of how LR works for you and you have a reliable LR work flow, consider exploring Topaz's plug-ins for LR. They will take you to the next level. Topaz offers excellent webinars periodically with live demonstrations of their tools. Highly recommended... again, AFTER you have a good working knowledge of LR.

...my 2 cents... Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 03-09-2011 at 12:10 PM.
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, thanks for starting this thread, Ross--I needed a prod to get back end my 'break' and the additional resources may help.

They say mental challenges are good for an aging brain (as long as you stop before you start breaking things in frustration ;~)
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
BTW, thanks for starting this thread, Ross--I needed a prod to get back end my 'break' and the additional resources may help.

They say mental challenges are good for an aging brain (as long as you stop before you start breaking things in frustration ;~)
One thing that bugged me to the point of distraction when I first started using Lightroom was understanding virtual copies and how my pictures were being stored. I found this helpful video instruction at the Adobe TV site: George Jardine on Lightroom - The Lightroom Catalog | Adobe TV Helpful with that too, and a bargain way to get a useful manual, is to pick up a good Lightroom 2 book, such as this one by Nathaniel Coalson which can be had for about $10 shipped. It has the most important stuff needed for Lightroom 3. Chapter 5 is superb for explaining how/where files are stored.

I've done a lot of the tutorials at the Adobe TV site where it seems one can learn most of what one needs to know. Also, there are other useful instruction sites, like this one by the well known photographer Scott Kelby: Lightroom Killer Tips, and these videos at Vimeo: Videos tagged 'lightroom' on Vimeo

03-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
One thing that bugged me to the point of distraction when I first started using Lightroom was understanding virtual copies and how my pictures were being stored. I found this helpful video instruction at the Adobe TV site: George Jardine on Lightroom - The Lightroom Catalog | Adobe TV Helpful with that too, and a bargain way to get a useful manual, is to pick up a good Lightroom 2 book, such as this one by Nathaniel Coalson which can be had for about $10 shipped. It has the most important stuff needed for Lightroom 3. Chapter 5 is superb for explaining how/where files are stored.

I've done a lot of the tutorials at the Adobe TV site where it seems one can learn most of what one needs to know. Also, there are other useful instruction sites, like this one by the well known photographer Scott Kelby: Lightroom Killer Tips, and these videos at Vimeo: Videos tagged 'lightroom' on Vimeo
Yep, I've got both the Kelby and Coalson books and I could probably pass a test based on the book but still feel kinda lost when I'm actually working in it.
03-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #9

I'm learning by watching these tutorials:

AdobeTV | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

whith Lightroom open to try what she does.
03-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you have any specific questions you could always ask them on the forums. I know I for one love helping people out with this kind of thing. Although like dadipentak says: sometimes it's easier with someone looking over your shoulder for the first few tries.

For what it's worth: I started using lightroom with a strong background in photoshop, so I already knew what most of the sliders meant (that would have been the hard part for me!)
03-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Searches are nice but advice from someone you can interact with is usually better. Any version of RTFM is not helpful.

As to Lightroom, Kelby's book is excellent, as is Du Chemin's (only for editing, not organizing). If you do better with videos, try lynda.com or kelbytraining.com.
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did a search of books on Amazon and finally settled on, "Adobe Lightroom 3 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users". A bit pricey, but rated very highly (I hope the comments are accurate).

I like the videos sometimes, but a book or a private tutor would be my preferred methods.

Thanks for all the advice. It's great to have so many people willing to help with just about any question a guy throws out there.

Ross
03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The "Adobe Lightroom 3 - The Missing FAQ is not a bad selection.
An the Kelby book as well.
I found the Kelby good as a starter the "The Missing FAQ" increasingly more helpful as I learn the program.

Aside from that the online tutorials proved invaluable to jump start my knowledge of LR.

And then just starting to work with the program.
Good luck. I just started in December with LR.
03-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I just started in December with LR.
What were you using previously?