Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lightroom & K-x & RAW?

Will Lightroom 3 recognize and allow me to work with the RAW photos from my K-x? I fear I may have jumped the gun ordering LR 3 as it wasn't until after I ordered that I discovered there were a limited number of cameras supported for tethered shooting - and mine isn't one of them. If it also doesn't support my RAW pics I'm just gonna sell it before I open the package.

Must be the Scottish blood in me; I saw a deal and jumped on it.

Thanks
Ross

03-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

despite the fact that the k-x doesn't support tethered shooting, lightroom 3 does support pentax RAW; i use lr3 all the time and i love it! it's just like adobe camera raw

edit: and when i mean tethered, i mean wirelessly sending pictures from the camera to the computer. when you plug your camera into your computer you can allow lightroom 3 to import your pictures.
03-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
My understanding of tethered shooting is being able to control the camera from the computer that it is connected to via a USB cable. And the K-x is not supported for that. But that's great to know that it won't send me an error message when I send it RAW files.

Thanks
Ross
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LR3 supports K-x RAW format images very well. You can use DNG or PEF format - either way, LR3 has no trouble handling them. In fact, LR3 does a great job processing K-x RAW's.

K-x tethering can be handled (on Windows) with the excellent PKTether.

If you want tethering to work with LR, you can then ask LightRoom to watch the folder PKTether places it's files in. LR will then automatically suck the images up and do whatever you normally ask LR to do on imported images.

03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Call it old school if you must, but I just have a habit of just pulling the card out of my camera and inserting it into my computer and unloading my images that way, I have learned from my past experiences~ if it ain't broke then don't fix it, this is how I have always loaded my images from my cameras. I just don't have the time to mess around with plugging in my camera and trying to get the software to load up, it is just not worth it for me.
03-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Call it old school if you must, but I just have a habit of just pulling the card out of my camera and inserting it into my computer and unloading my images that way, I have learned from my past experiences~ if it ain't broke then don't fix it, this is how I have always loaded my images from my cameras. I just don't have the time to mess around with plugging in my camera and trying to get the software to load up, it is just not worth it for me.
I wouldn't just call it old school, I'd call it the smartest option of them all. I have a K-x and do it that way as well. The reason is because you have to turn the camera on to transfer files over to the computer. At least, that's how it worked with my Samsung Gx-1s. If you shot 300 photos or more in RAW format, this can certainly take some time, meanwhile your batteries are being sucked dry. Even though I've got batteries that recharge in 15 minutes and stay charged for a long time, I'd still prefer to conserve energy when I can.

I just hate when I happen to forget to reinsert my card back into my camera. That doesn't happen very often and fortunately I've got plenty of backup if it does.
03-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote

I just hate when I happen to forget to reinsert my card back into my camera. That doesn't happen very often and fortunately I've got plenty of backup if it does.
You too 'eh? this has happened to me a couple of times, now I am in the habit of inserting a fresh card right when I take the full one out.