Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I just realized that the title of my thread should have read: Windows 7 and NOT CS5 glitches.
I recently upgraded to CS5, along with a complete revamping of my PC. Apart from some technical (hardware) stuff that needed further tweaking (now under control), I am encountering some weird behavior, under Windows 7, 64 bits, such as:

Did you install CS5 32 or 64 bit version? I know that the 64bit version works with Win7/64.

04-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

If the PC is running an x64 Windows, photoshop automatically installs the x64 version.

I think it's high time the OP revealed what the 'weird behaviour' is.
04-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
Change your power supply. Trust me.
Power supply just very recently changed for a 450W unit ... 1 month ago.

JP
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psyclop Quote
It should not do that, I run cs5 on a Samsung laptop and I am a heavy photoshop user.

What is your computer spec?
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB DDR3

System type: Windows 7 64 bits (Home Premuim)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3400 series 512 MB (this is the stand alone one, and I am not using the graphic card built-in on the motherboard)

Hard drives: 1. SSD (Solid State) 60 GB (dedicated to Windows 7 only - no storage)
2. WDC 500 GB
3. WDC 1TB (external on SATA)
4. WDC 1TB (external on SATA)

Monitors: - Acer X223W (22")
- LG (old) 17"

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 04-02-2011 at 08:53 AM.
04-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
Did you install CS5 32 or 64 bit version? I know that the 64bit version works with Win7/64.
64 bits - Windows 7 and CS5
04-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If the PC is running an x64 Windows, photoshop automatically installs the x64 version.

I think it's high time the OP revealed what the 'weird behaviour' is.
This is the actual weird behavior: (from my first post)

I am encountering some weird behavior, under Windows 7, 64 bits, such as:

1. The computer will sometimes restart for no reason "whatsoever", at least no reason which I can imagine would cause it to do that.
Very annoying.
I am not sure, but may it have something to do when Windows performs updates in the background without me being aware of them?? Perhaps it does it when no updates have been done as well.
04-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Could be the memory.

04-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB DDR3

System type: Windows 7 64 bits (Home Premuim)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3400 series 512 MB (this is the stand alone one, and I am not using the graphic card built-in on the motherboard)

Hard drives: 1. SSD (Solid State) 60 GB (dedicated to Windows 7 only - no storage)
2. WDC 500 GB
3. WDC 1TB (external on SATA)
4. WDC 1TB (external on SATA)

Monitors: - Acer X223W (22")
- LG (old) 17"

JP
i see 5 hard drives .. 4 and an ati radeon hd 3400 mb.

a little debug.

reduce the number of harddrives .. from 4 to 3 .. test your cs5. if it gives problem then its your power supply. confirm

if not .. repeat the procedure with RAM chips. you should be able to identify the problem.

PS: its a fairly simple task. no need to sweat.
04-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
i see 5 hard drives .. 4 and an ati radeon hd 3400 mb.

a little debug.

reduce the number of harddrives .. from 4 to 3 .. test your cs5. if it gives problem then its your power supply. confirm

if not .. repeat the procedure with RAM chips. you should be able to identify the problem.

PS: its a fairly simple task. no need to sweat.
As I mentioned earlier, I think I have solved some or most of the problem by de-activating the automatic restarting following Windows updates.
Also, and certainly not the least:

Old house = old electrical wiring (archaic?) = some issues with the impedance and polarity on some of the outlets = one such outlet being the one used for the computer!!
Got in touch with my bro-in-law electrical engineer who suggested to find and use a alternate and suitable (properly wired) outlet and use that, even if I need an extension, for a couple of days and see what happens.

So, I didn't realize that the system interpreted the ATI Radeon graphic card as a hard disk.
I will perform the tests anyway.
No problem to test with reducing the no. of drives, but what do you mean by testing with RAM chips?

Hopefully, once I have tested the system as you suggest and used a proper outlet, the problems will have been taken care of.

Thanks for the help.

JP
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, when I upgraded to Win7, I put new ram in at the same time, and had to up the voltage to it significantly to stop random BSODs.
These came up as memory management errors.
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, when I upgraded to Win7, I put new ram in at the same time, and had to up the voltage to it significantly to stop random BSODs.
These came up as memory management errors.
Hi Wheatfield.

I gather, from the tech guys, that a setup such as mine, with two internal drives and the graphic card plus the DVD player ... and 8GB of RAM that I am at the "limit" with a 450W power supply.

They are going to test it tomorrow with a 650W, new generation type of P.S. (whatever that means).
This was suggested earlier by techmulla
Once this is set up, along with the fix for the "old wiring" in the house here, I should be all set ... hopefully.

Of course, I ran into all sorts of different Windows 7 vs. installed hardware again today ... that's another story though.

Cheers.

JP
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, over the past couple of days I've had a couple of random BSODs. This after getting the machine running very stably for several months. My machine has 5 drives and a pretty high end video card, but nothing else, and an 850 watt Zoltan power supply.
I'm wondering if perhaps a Windows update is at play here.
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I couldn’t add more to what have been suggested above. I used to build and or repair PC on the side back in Win 95/98, early XP days when I was involved in robotics and automation. I don’t work on PCs anymore other than for myself or relatives.

Here’s my 2c, I believe you problem is hardware in nature. However, failing RAM modules, Processor or even Motherboard or main drive usually do not cause sporadic system reboot without initial symptoms i.e. System lockup, sluggish performance, BSOD, etc. Had I been debugging a system with your problem description, the above mentioned components wouldn’t be my primary suspects.

If one of your HDD’s (other than main drive), CD/DVD player, Floppy drive, cooling fans or any components that draws power but does not necessarily affect overall system performance pulls in more current than it should for any reason, it may put your 450W PS on the edge and cause random reboot.

I agree with your bro-in-law’s suggestion of using an alternate AC outlet. An unstable AC line that's prone to power dip with long enough duration (due to Air conditioning or Refrigerator compressors, Washers/Dryer motors, even Microwave) turning on could cause your system to reboot. You may consider using a UPS. Are you using or have bypassed a power strip/surge protector? I sure do hope your house isn’t wired with aluminum wiring common on the “old” days. In case you do have AI wiring you may want to Google “Aluminum Wiring Cold Creep” or read this “not so short” article regarding Al wiring: http://www.dca.state.fl.us/fbc/commission/FBC_0411/Electrical_TAC/Aluminum_Wiring.pdf

Lastly, there’s a possibility that your problem is as simple as a defective/failing reset switch. Have you tried disconnecting it?

Sorry to drag this long but I thought I’d share my experience when I read this thread. Hope it helps, Cheers!
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Interestingly, over the past couple of days I've had a couple of random BSODs. This after getting the machine running very stably for several months. My machine has 5 drives and a pretty high end video card, but nothing else, and an 850 watt Zoltan power supply.
I'm wondering if perhaps a Windows update is at play here.

That wouldn't surprise me that an update would cause unsuspected behavior, no matter what it could be.
Aside from hardware problems, I know now that Windows 7 (updates) has an uncanny ability to mess up my system, at least once in a while.

Your system might just fall into that category!

By the way, I think that there is quite enough power in your system for all of your disks.

JP