Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CS5 glitches: computer restarts on its own and ...

I just realized that the title of my thread should have read: Windows 7 and NOT CS5 glitches.
I recently upgraded to CS5, along with a complete revamping of my PC. Apart from some technical (hardware) stuff that needed further tweaking (now under control), I am encountering some weird behavior, under Windows 7, 64 bits, such as:

1. The computer will sometimes restart for no reason "whatsoever", at least no reason which I can imagine would cause it to do that.
Very annoying.
I am not sure, but may it have something to do when Windows performs updates in the background without me being aware of them?? Perhaps it does it when no updates have been done as well.

2. I put shortcuts on the desktop, something I do very often, and one of those shortcuts shows with a big question mark, then, for no apparent reason, disappears (the question mark goes away).

3. Deleted item due to the OP's stupidity ... I already had extracted the BIN file needed for the v.1.03 K5 firmware update and here I was trying to open it!

Anyone out there can provide solutions to those glitches?

Thanks in advance.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 03-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.
03-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My PC has W7x64 and has never had any of the problems your PC has. Restarting can be lots of things, for example memory problems, overheating. Have you checked the event logs to see if there is a clue? And have you tried Google? For example 'windows 7 desktop shortcuts disappear' brings lots of hits. What are these shortcuts to? Stuff on internal hard drives? Stuff on USB drives?
03-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could be faulty RAM, hard drive, motherboard or PSU. I once had a faulty PSU which provided insufficient 5V and cut off the hard drive power randomly. Just test them with volt meter and see.
03-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When Win 7 does updates that require a reboot, it always warns you with a pop up window. If you don't happen to be around to stop it, it will do the restart after a set period.

Your issue sounds like a different problem though. When Windows encounters a problem that forces a reboot, it should make a notation of what happened in the event log. Check there to see what notations have been made. One common cause of reboots is a driver that has become corrupted.

Here is step by step info on what is in the event log and how to acces it:
Event Log

03-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like your hardware isn't under as compete control as you think it is.
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The computer restarting on it's own is usually a power supply. I have seen it a few times. Double check the other things. I don't know what upgrades you did. If you added memory, changed graphics cards, etc then you may be overloading the PS. Also, you may need to update your drivers. The video driver that came with my graphics card, although listed as Win7/64, didn't work right. If you upgraded an old motherboard, you may need to update the BIOS.
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be that installing CS5 put some stress on faulty memory or an iffy graphics card. Under normal circumstances, no Adobe, you might not have had those problems because you may not have even been fully using your memory most of the time but Adobe applications do require a lot of muscle and good video and if you aren't set up well or have problems with either of those it can stress your system. That being said, that's exactly what happened with us before our power supply and CPU went last Fall.

03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
My PC has W7x64 and has never had any of the problems your PC has. Restarting can be lots of things, for example memory problems, overheating. Have you checked the event logs to see if there is a clue? And have you tried Google? For example 'windows 7 desktop shortcuts disappear' brings lots of hits. What are these shortcuts to? Stuff on internal hard drives? Stuff on USB drives?
I've Googled regrading the shortcuts and it would seem that Win 7 has this recurring problem, observed from quite a few users.
It has to do with the automatic updates.
I'll be looking for ways to get around that.
Thanks for the tip.

JP
03-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Could be faulty RAM, hard drive, motherboard or PSU. I once had a faulty PSU which provided insufficient 5V and cut off the hard drive power randomly. Just test them with volt meter and see.
None of that, I can assure you. The computer has been thouroughly tested for any hardware fault.

JP
03-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can setup your automatic updates through the control panel or right click Windows Update through the task bar. I run Win7 64 on 3 laptops and a desktop at home and do not experience any of the problems you mentioned. I also prefer to have the OS alert me of available updates, but I choose whether or not to install them. No automatic stuff for me. I always look through the updates and make sure to download the critical ones. Windows will display whether or not an update is critical versus optional. If you haven't already, download the Win7 SP1 update in addition to making sure all your drivers are current.

Lastly, restarts can occur for a variety reasons. Most often the culprits are an insufficient or inadequate power supply, or a system overheating (namely the video card). The newer generation of CPUs/processors don't take too much power, but the newer video cards draw like no one's business. Even on mid-range video cards, often the stock fan is not enough to cool it.
03-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I am going to have the guys at the comp shop re-examine the PC from distance (they use Crossloop) and see what they find.
I'll be back to post some answers if I can find any.
Thaks to all for the time to respond here.

Cheers. Back soon.

JP
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #12

Change your power supply. Trust me.
03-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It should not do that, I run cs5 on a Samsung laptop and I am a heavy photoshop user.

What is your computer spec?
03-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The thing I would do first, is this.

Check to see if you have automatic updates on. If so, round up the latest drivers from the preferred vendors for your hardware. update all drivers with these.

Windows update pushes some generic drivers that SUCK. Specifically the realtek HD audio and network card drivers.

The sound one caused me no ends of headaches on my system until I replaced it with the preferred driver by my motherboard's manufacturer.

Odds are what is actually happenign is a blue screen of death. However, since XP, the default behavior of windows is to, if possible, automatically restart on a BSOD.

You can go to control panel->system and security->system then click on advanced system settings, and choose startup and recovery settings from the pop up. Under system failure, you will see automatically restart checked by default. Uncheck it.

That way if you BSOD, at least you will se the system has halted due to an error and might have a better idea of what needs fixing.
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
The thing I would do first, is this.

Check to see if you have automatic updates on. If so, round up the latest drivers from the preferred vendors for your hardware. update all drivers with these.
Just did that: changed the Windows 7 automatic updates so that now it will ask before proceeding.
I also turned off the "sleep mode" and left only the screen to turn off after 15 minutes of idle time.
Since then, the computer doesn't reboot "automatically" after unsuspected updates.

Windows update pushes some generic drivers that SUCK. Specifically the realtek HD audio and network card drivers.

The sound one caused me no ends of headaches on my system until I replaced it with the preferred driver by my motherboard's manufacturer.

Odds are what is actually happenign is a blue screen of death. However, since XP, the default behavior of windows is to, if possible, automatically restart on a BSOD.
Drivers have been updated for the graphic card and other peripherals, along with the newest SSD driver.
You can go to control panel->system and security->system then click on advanced system settings, and choose startup and recovery settings from the pop up. Under system failure, you will see automatically restart checked by default. Uncheck it.
OK, I will turn that off as well.
That way if you BSOD, at least you will se the system has halted due to an error and might have a better idea of what needs fixing.
Thanks for the help!