Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

Lightroom screen vs K-7 lcd vs Pentax software

I have lightroom 3 and shooting a K-7 in DNG only mode. Not DNG+jpg. I do have the camera set on saturation +1 and finesharpness 2+1, not sure if that effects DNG or not.

I like what I see on the K-7 lcd when I play images back and zoom in at 8x(sort of 1:1). Then when I look at an image in the Pentax photo software it looks good. Images sharp, colors including skin tone and reds are fine. Super sharp in spots too.

Looking at the same image in Lightroom 3 before clicking "auto" on setting the tone a red jacket is not the right color red, skin tones have a reddish cast to it, the colors are blooming in saturation and it is not sharp even though the default is 25 on import sharpening and no amount of sharpening in LR can I get the same sharpness as looking at what I see in the Pentax browser software or the camera LCD. For example the sleeve on the guy's red coat is where it is sharpest, the winter jacket is made up of tight squares and you can see them clear and sharp but in Lightroom no matter what sharpening is done it is all mush. 1:1 and regular view. Previews are set to render 1:1.

So what the heck am I looking at on all 3 locations? Am I looking at a rendered Jpeg on the camera lcd/Pentax browser even though it says it is DNG? Why is the red jacket and skin tones the wrong color, blooming and not able to get the sharpness in LR that I see in Pentax stuff?

Oh I hate the Pentax browser can't figure it out and it crashes sometimes. I tried to do a save as as jpeg to get comparisons for ya but it saved only a black image.

Changing camera standard, adobe standard, embedded does subtle shifts in LR so I don't think that is it.

Thoughts? Links to how to fix this? Thanks.

03-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

I notice the same thing that LR3 color seems to be off too. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What you're noticing is normal. The image you see on the screen is a jpeg approximation of the dng or pef image that the camera actually saves. BTW, the camera settings only affect a jpeg capture, not a raw one. What you see on the camera screen has the settings factored in, but since they are not captured in the dng file, it should look different. The Pentax version of Silkypix can automatically apply correction to your raw imports that make them more or less match what jpeg would capture. I don't use automatic anything on my photos. It can be close but seldom spot on.

I don't have a K-7 so I don't know the specific settings you need. If Lightroom displays a consistent color cast that's different from your screen, you can correct that once and save your settings as a preset, that you can then apply to all your imports.

Concerning sharpness, the raw file will also be less sharp than the jpeg preview, especially since you have upped the sharpness settings in the camera. You can either include sharpness in your preset or adjust it on an individual file basis, like I do.
03-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

Have you calibrated your monitor?

03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am using a 5 year old 17" crt. I fiddled around with Adobe gamma program and online sources for checking brightness and contrast so it is better than it was there, but no official hardware monitor calibration.

I just looked at the DNG in Picasa and it does look the same as LR. The red jacket has an orange hue to it, the skin tones have a reddish hue so Picasa and LR look about the same.

I will try and check to see if I can correct and set as a preset. My inital attempts in camera adjustment at the bottom of the LR pane had me adjusting red tint but while I can get the red jacket closer, then the skin tones look all screwed up. Oh, I do recall that green grass has a yellow tinge to it in LR so I do tend to change the tint of the green slider so grass is a darker green. Blues look right on though.

I will shoot some stuff this weekend, me in my red jacket then use that as the basis for adjustments. I also have a really old demo version of Silkypix with some advanced features x'd out. I need to see what colors look like there. I do remember when I tried a demo of version 1 of LR and this old Silkypix that Silkypix had some nice color to it.

Anyone know if there are camera presets for the K-7 already made anywhere that w
ill get at least the colors right?