Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
what software should I get??

I have the Pentax k10d, and shoot in raw. Have a Pentax 80-320, the Pentax 40 mm 1:2.8 and the stock lens 18-55. Most of my processing has been done using the Pentax supplied software or the Google Picasa software.

I want to try HDR and some masking effects that I used to do in the old B&W film days. I looked at the Photoshop elements but it appears that does not have the capability to merge 32 bits photos for the HDR. I don't want to spend my money on software but would rather improve my lens. My budget for software would be less then $200.

Most of my processing is cropping, color, sharpness, fairly typical stuff but will sometimes take 200 pictures in a day so need to make it easy. I do want to try some of the newer techniques to get better range and to keep improving. I am newer at most digital post processing.

A batch of my photographs are on picasa at: Picasa Web Albums - weatherwise2

What software(s) would people recommend?

10-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about Free for PP and cheap for HDR. here's what I use and they both perform well.

HDR:
Dynamic Photo HDR, high dynamic range imaging software with Anti-Ghosting
PP:
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

With Paint.net there is a forum you should visit. There are many plugins and also a tutorial section that is very good. Does all I need and will edit DNG, Jpeg and TIFF files. Doesn't support PEF but not many freeware products do as far as I can tell. Others are big fans of GIMP which appears good as well.
10-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

CinePaint for HDR

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Doesn't support PEF but not many freeware products do as far as I can tell.
CinePaint lets you open PEF files directly. It also supports icc profiles and 16-bit colour. I'm pretty sure it also supports HDR. Yup, free.
10-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's worth a look. Thanks

10-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Tried to load it and it either doesn't work right on Vista or it's much more limited than Paint.net. or I just don't see how to do nearly as much with a picture.
10-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi,

I am using HDR soft Photomatix (not expenxive)

HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Blending & HDR Imaging for photography

for HDR and

Silkypix for handling and processing RAW images (I take only RAW's)
10-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to read the tutorials and other sections and download some of these programs.

10-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

pfstools appears to be open source HDR software.
So in other words FREE

I haven't used it and sure don't recommend it unless I try something, but it might be worth looking into.
Along with other open source programs.

I'm not big into HDR, otherwise I'd try a couple.
10-31-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
pfstools appears to be open source HDR software.
So in other words FREE

I haven't used it and sure don't recommend it unless I try something, but it might be worth looking into.
Along with other open source programs.

I'm not big into HDR, otherwise I'd try a couple.
Try Qtpfsgui, OpenSource and available for Linux AND Win32
11-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First HDR photos

I looked at the software packages mentioned and settled on the Photomatrix for the HDR. Impressive and easy to use. Here is my first attempt on this rainy Saturday morning.

HDR

Best of the processing using pentax program:

Outside of using the program to merge 3 photos using the +/- 2 EV exposure and checking some settings within the program, no other post-processing.

this is going to be fun.
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

We were really surprised that the software included with the K10 did not include that many tools for working the jpeg files.
I mean I really lack clear and easy tools to reduce the file size of my jpegs copies. I want to have the tools to compress my copied files on select images for online uploading and such and none of my other programs will do this either.
Can someone suggest perhaps a free and basis program that I can use to compress my 3mb files to 500 klb for instance. I am satisfied and enjoy the other editing tools I have and really I am only wanting a good resizing tool.
11-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
We were really surprised that the software included with the K10 did not include that many tools for working the jpeg files.
I mean I really lack clear and easy tools to reduce the file size of my jpegs copies. I want to have the tools to compress my copied files on select images for online uploading and such and none of my other programs will do this either.
Can someone suggest perhaps a free and basis program that I can use to compress my 3mb files to 500 klb for instance. I am satisfied and enjoy the other editing tools I have and really I am only wanting a good resizing tool.
You could try Irfan View.

You can even batch resize with it and its free.

D
11-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
I looked at the software packages mentioned and settled on the Photomatrix for the HDR. Impressive and easy to use. Here is my first attempt on this rainy Saturday morning.
Photomatix is a great program. In regards to your photos, that's a great shot there. HDR's color and tonal range goes beyond what the range of the human eye can see, so your final output is like what you saw with your eye.

Anyway, great shot. Keep shooting and post up some pics. I'd love to see more.
11-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For me it is IrfanView for browsing and batch renaming and batch RAW converting, when browsing the RAW images reveals that no particular individual attention is required and the IrfanView default rendition is acceptable.

When I wish to manually diddle a RAW image, I use ufraw.exe, which I find does a very good job even on auto settings. Furthermore, it works as a plug-in for The GIMP.

The GIMP is the software I use for all of my post-processing. Some love it, some don't.

If I need to clean up noise, I run it through NoiseWare Community Edition.

All of the software mentioned here is freeware.