Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

K-7 jpeg's green has a yellow tint. Why?

I can see that green grass has a yellow tint to it when I shoot jpegs. I have been shooting Raw+ lately though.

I noticed clear as day the other day that looking at the same file DNG then JPEG which are side by side pictures in Picassa, a DNG the grass is the proper color green and the processed in camera jpeg has a clear yellow shift. I do use mostly use Lightroom now for processing but it is nice to shoot jpeg alone sometimes but the green shift is disturbing.

One thing I realized is that I am shooting the camera in Adobe RGB. Could that be causing the shift?

I did tweak the natural and vibrant camera look settings. I boosted the saturation up a notch and changed sharpness to fine sharpness 2 and put that at +1 for natural. I changed vibrant to the fs2+1 as well but doesn't seem like those would do it because I am not blatantly changing tint.

Last edited by Corvairfan; 04-13-2011 at 12:39 PM.
04-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Raw isn't an image. Its up to each individual raw converter (in your case, picasa) to interpret the data into an image. Picasa has chosen one way to convert the green data. With jpegs, this conversion is done in camera. Your Pentax camera has chosen a different way to convert green data. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) will do it yet a different way.
04-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corvairfan Quote
I am shooting the camera in Adobe RGB. Could that be causing the shift?
Most manufacturer's say sRGB unless you are doing industrial printing or similar. I think only 1 or 2 members have ever said they use Adobe RGB.
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see that green grass has a yellow tint to it when I shoot jpegs. I have been shooting Raw+ lately though.

I noticed clear as day the other day that looking at the same file DNG then JPEG which are side by side pictures in Picassa, a DNG the grass is the proper color green and the processed in camera jpeg has a clear yellow shift. I do use mostly use Lightroom now for processing but it is nice to shoot jpeg alone sometimes but the green shift is disturbing.

One thing I realized is that I am shooting the camera in Adobe RGB. Could that be causing the shift?

I did tweak the natural and vibrant camera look settings. I boosted the saturation up a notch and changed sharpness to fine sharpness 2 and put that at +1 for natural. I changed vibrant to the fs2+1 as well but doesn't seem like those would do it because I am not blatantly changing tint.
I shoot in adobe RGB when I shoot jpg and never had any problems. It could be an issue with piccasa's processing raw to jpg. If you shoot raw, it doesn't use a color profile until it is opened up in a program, then the program chooses the color profile. does the jpgs look yellow on the back of the camera.

hope this isn't to confusing, as color profiling is a difficult to understand itself.

cheers

04-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi, I just uploaded three shots for you to look at. The in camera jpeg looks clearly yellow to me. Then I used Lightroom to save the DNG as SRGB and the greens are green, and interestingly enough more saturation and pop without me doing anything to the photo. Though could be some Export adjustment LR does that I don't know about. But looks good.

Then I exported the DNG as an AdobeRGB and it looks a bit better than the in camera jpeg to my eyes but still too yellow.

So it might be like you said it might be how I am seeing it on my computer but my *stDL never had this yellow shift with the same lenses and the same software. Or I might just like the jpeg look of SRGB on my computer(and at work btw on a different monitor).

When the rain clears up I will swap over to SRGB in the camera and shoot some jpegs and see if I see any difference. Makes sense right?

Oh and this is one of my first casual for testing purposes shots with the 35mm F2.4 lens. Even on a cloudy day the contrast and sharpness appears to be there and things are popping compared to my my kit lenses. I didn't take time to really focus the camera because I walked up to the dogs and took a quick snap so no composition and proper technique and focus point so I'm sure the lens would look better with that.

Here is the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/corvairfan/YellowColorShift#

Last edited by Corvairfan; 04-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I just uploaded three shots for you to look at. The in camera jpeg looks clearly yellow to me. Then I used Lightroom to save the DNG as SRGB and the greens are green, and interestingly enough more saturation and pop without me doing anything to the photo. Though could be some Export adjustment LR does that I don't know about. But looks good.

Then I exported the DNG as an AdobeRGB and it looks a bit better than the in camera jpeg to my eyes but still too yellow.

So I think it is just that like you said it might be how I am seeing it on my computer but my *stDL never had this yellow shift with the same lenses and the same software.

When the rain clears up I will swap over to SRGB in the camera and shoot some jpegs and see if I see any difference. Makes sense right?

Oh and this is one of my first casual for testing purposes shots with the 35mm F2.4 lens. Even on a cloudy day the contrast and sharpness appears to be there and things are popping compared to my my kit lenses. I didn't take time to really focus the camera because I walked up to the dogs and took a quick snap so no composition and proper technique and focus point so I'm sure the lens would look better with that.

Here is the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/corvairfan/YellowColorShift#
Well, if you are viewing an AdobeRGB image in a non-AdobeRGB colorspace, you are going to get the effect you showed in you uploads. If you shoot in AdobeRGB, you can always go into photoshop and hit edit>convert to color profile, choose sRGB, and the colors will shift back to normal.

If you don't have a reason to be shooting with the larger gamut colorspace (or know how to have a consitent colorspace workflow) I suggest you just stick to sRGB. Then you won't have to worry about color issues involved in converting between colorspaces.
04-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just looked at your pics with my monitor and I don't see a color shift, but the second shot has more contrast.
In adobe bridge cs4 under edit>preferences choose camera raw setting. when it opens make sure the auto correction is not selected.
then under creative suite color setting either choose the first option>monitor color or north america general settings 2 (unless of course you are from another country)
click apply

most of the time if you want to print something, keep it in Adobe rgb 1998... if it is for the web keep it srgb.
srgb was created a long while back when monitors could not display the millions of colors they do now. to be backwards compatable they kept it.
adobe rgb 1998 shows more colors better for print
srgb less colors but better for web

cheers
04-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

aRGB is only theoretically better. Shortly aRGB is for special people who have a reach aRGB monitors and aRGB printers, almost all monitors and most printers are sRGB connected to Internet. So, if you shoot just for the aRGB prints you go with the aRGB only if you have aRGB monitor for PPing, if you share your photos you have to go with sRGB.

Photographic color spaces sRGB vs Adobe RGB

04-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't believe that colour space has anything to do with your problem. It's the way you've set your Image Tones. Vibrant creates a strong bias toward green and magenta, resulting in very distorted colours. If you want to punch up your photos, try shooting in Landscape or Bright tone. Natural is fine if you like post-processing, but too bland for straight conversion. I use Portrait as my default, it gives the most accurate colours, and I can usually just do a straight conversion without processing.

PS Picasa does not display or convert Pentax raw images properly. To view in Picasa, you have to convert to jpeg first.