Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #1

using a laptop for processing and printing

Does anyone have any tips on this? I have used a spyder thing to calibrate my monitor, but images still usually come out darker, or more contrasty than they appear on screen. normally before printing an image i will adjust it so the whole thing is just a little lighter.

i am working on a laptop and feel that might be part of my issue, as images appear darker or lighter depending on how the screen is angled. i try to remember to put it at the same angle every time, but who knows. I know i could get a separate monitor or hook it up to my tv?? but, it is just a lot more convenient to use the laptop primarily since i have limited space in my place.

any suggestions?

04-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my laptop for all my photos, I just angle my monitor for the best angle. Haven't really had any problems. I have a monitor that I could attach but it is just to convenient to set with my laptop. Not sure why you are having this issue. The only thing I can suggest is to try someones elses laptop or maybe try hooking up to your tv and see if the images are different. Maybe your laptop is having problems. Wish I could give you some magical answer, hope this helps.
04-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortunately not all LCD panels are created equal, so it certainly is possible it could be your problem.
As an example, at work I have 2 24inh dell's. Purchased at the exact same time and with serial numbers only a few apart. And they are completely different. One has horrible brightness/contrast while the other produces horrible greens.

From my personal experience, I've found Apple produce the most consistent monitors and laptop screens. And thats comparing them to Dell's, Samsungs, BenQ's, and many more.
I just wish the one on my 13inch Macbook was bigger. *Sigh*, shouldn't have been a cheap skate.
04-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't expect miracles from your laptop screen. Most laptops exhibit wide variations in gamma depending on how you view them, so accurate tonal adjustment is a game of chance. The dark prints, though, may simply be a case of calibrating to too high a luminance. Anything above 120 cd/m2 is brighter than any paper ever will be, giving you exaggerated shadow detail compared to the print.

04-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most laptops have a monitor plug, even my $199 Acer netbook. Laptops are fine for portable viewing but I prefer a larger and better monitor for doing anything more than very basic simple editing. Of course, you run into the same issues with different monitors which is why they have calibration tools. I understand the space issues but flatscreen LCD monitors don't take up much space and there are also some quality monitor/televisions. Unless your TV is quite new, it won't likely have the resolution for use as a computer monitor. The new HDTV monitor/TV's can function as both.
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jennver:

As you are using the spyder for profiling your monitor, you SHOULD be able to do better. But still keep in mind that the print is reflective and the monitor is transmissive. There WILL be differences. What you need to do is understand what they are and minimize them. You need to know what to expect also. Have you done much research on color management? This might be a good place to start. This wiki link has some information to get you started: Color management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First, you do not mention what color space you work in, sRGB or Adobe RGB. Adobe RGB will give a wider color gamut and possibly less contrast. The system you are using, the spyder, should let you set the proper color temperature (usually D65 or 6500K is good for monitors, and not 5000K or D50, which is the standard for printed media). Also, you mention that the prints are coming out dark, but you increase the brightness of the monitor. To get a better handle on what is being printed, decrease the brightness of the monitor. This is something the spyder should assist you with also. Understand that by increasing the brightness of the monitor, you by default see more depth and tones than you may see in the paper. Finally, you do not mention how the prints are being made. If they are from your own printer, you should color manage it also. Depending on the model of the spyder you have, you should be able to do this. If you are having them printed off site, and you do not want to send them files to print so you can color manage their process, then you may have to just understand that you need to make the image look flatter on the monitor, and lighter, to get it to fall into place when printed.

Digital color management is a discipline all to itself. But with the right tools and understanding, you should be able to get great repeatable results.

Regards,
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
hi all thanks for all the helpful knowledge! i guess i have a lot to learn. i think maybe doing some reading up on color management and what not will help me a little to understand all this stuff!

04-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

I just use a little Acer note book to work on my pictures. I can work with the small screen with very few problems. Here is an example of some work I did. Enjoy!

Old/ New Camera Design Study - Pentax User Photo Gallery