Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Annoying Problem in Photoshop

I have an annoying problem in Photoshop, and I'm not sure how to fix it. When I want to put text in an image, very rarely is the font size correct. I type something, and it's so tiny I can't see it, and I have to bring the font size to 800 for it to be acceptable. Other times, I can't see the text no matter what size it is. Does anyone know what the problem is?

04-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Wheatfield says, font size is based on units that are not pixels. The further explanation of this is that the resolution of your file (72 dpi, or 300 dpi) will determine how many pixels a font at a certain size will be. Use a larger font size, right?

Easiest way to do this in CS5 is: while you are typing, hold down the "Command" key (Mac) or "Ctrl" key (Win) and a transform box will appear around your text. Click and drag on a corner to freely resize the type, and also hold "Shift" down if you want to constrain the aspect ratio. When the type is the size you want, let up on the "Command" or "Ctrl" key and keep typing away!
04-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies Wheatfield and Panoguy. I didn't know font size was determined by dpi. I'm pretty certain the transparency was set right when I couldn't see the text. Also I should have said I'm using Elements 8.
04-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the bigger the photo and the more resolution it is, the smaller the font will appear on the pic. also different fonts are different sizes for the same dpi.
If you work to print, 300-320 dpi should be enough.
Is it possible the invisible text is just on a layer below the one visible?

cheers

04-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

As to not seeing the text when you type, make sure the colour of the text is set to black.
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
the bigger the photo and the more resolution it is, the smaller the font will appear on the pic. also different fonts are different sizes for the same dpi.
If you work to print, 300-320 dpi should be enough.
Is it possible the invisible text is just on a layer below the one visible?

cheers
That is possible that the text was under a layer. Sometimes I get confused on how to get a certain layer on top. Shouldn't the text automatically be on top though?

QuoteOriginally posted by kurki Quote
As to not seeing the text when you type, make sure the colour of the text is set to black.
I think it was set to yellow when I couldn't find it.
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Text can be put in any layer order, but yes when a text layer is initiated, it defaults to being on top.
And the text font size is absolute, not relative to the image size on the screen. You'll soo find out the font size you need for the full-size images you put them on with a little practice...

04-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

try double clicking on the text layer and see if the word shows (the word part of the layer). then either change the size and or color click ok. after this if you want it to stand out more, double click on the layer that holds the text (but not the text name its self in the layer)
this will allow you to give it shadows etc.

hope this make sense if not let us know

cheers
04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Forum Member

Typed text is not necessarily on the top. It is above the presently active layer.