Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CS5 and: a PSB file cannot be opened ???

Just yesterday, I was working on an image in CS5 64 bits, from RAW, and saved it in JPEG. I am sure I did want to save in JPEG but I suppose the "flatten image" command did not do its job prior to the save attempt ?

I now notice that the file is a "PSB" file in this manner:

~ps75BB.psb (located in a specific folder for all of my images).

and I cannot open it with CS5 !?

the message I have when I try to open it is this:

" Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or too short) "

Does that mean that the file is now corrupted and therefore unuseable?
Is there a way to "repair" the file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 04-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.
04-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just yesterday, I was working on an image in CS5 64 bits, from RAW, and saved it in JPEG. I am sure I did want to save in JPEG but I suppose the "flatten image" command did not do its job prior to the save attempt ?

I now notice that the file is a "PSB" file in this manner:

~ps75BB.psb (located in a specific folder for all of my images).

and I cannot open it with CS5 !?

the message I have when I try to open it is this:

" Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or too short) "

Does that mean that the file is now corrupted and therefore unuseable?
Is there a way to "repair" the file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

JP
a few things you can try. under the preferences, make sure that the PSB compatabilty check is clicked. not sure if you will have to restart to make the change.
usually when a ~ is in front of a file name it either means that it is open in another program at the same time. just close that photo in the other program

what that could not complete request error is, I don't know.
also, sometimes the ~ means another version of the same photo is open in photoshop. as far as I know, ~is put in front of a file to show it is a temp file until you save it

good luck and let us know if you need anymore help

cheers
04-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
a few things you can try. under the preferences, make sure that the PSB compatabilty check is clicked. not sure if you will have to restart to make the change.
usually when a ~ is in front of a file name it either means that it is open in another program at the same time. just close that photo in the other program

what that could not complete request error is, I don't know.
also, sometimes the ~ means another version of the same photo is open in photoshop. as far as I know, ~is put in front of a file to show it is a temp file until you save it

good luck and let us know if you need anymore help

cheers
Thanks!

I'll see what's there at this very moment: in the folder where the file was saved.
If the "tilde" character indicates an already used file, by another program, or a file waiting to be saved, I think I might be out of luck.

Let me check again ... i've just booted the computer a minute ago ....

Well, the file is still the same as it used to be: ~ps75BB.psb in the folder where I saved it.
The weird thing is that it shows an icon as a Pentax DNG file but the properties show that it is a JPG File (.jpg).
There are no other programs running, except CS5 which I launched after the boot.

I am getting the same old message about the file having a truncated JPEG marker , blah, blah, blah.

I will surely have to delete it and start from scratches from the original DNG, which I always keep.

If you have any idea or more suggestion(s), please let me know.

Cheers.

JP
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

another thing to try...
when you start the program that you are opening the file with, quickly hold down the crl alt shift all at the same time until a window appears saying do you want to delete the preference file?

click yes... you will loose your presets but adobe programs are known to work funny when the preference files get corrupt.

after you start it, go back into the preferences (I assume you are using photoshop) and click on PSB support.
A psb file are from PS version 1 believe it or not, and only very early ps versions even use it.

If that doesn't work.. right click on the file, click rename, and then rename it xxx.psd without the ~ on it. try different extensions and maybe one will open. If it has layers, only .psd and .tiff support this as far as I know.

if all this won't work, try to open the psb file in another adobe product like fireworks, lightroom, etc.

good luck let me know how you make out

cheeers

04-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I am not yet in CS5, however if it doesn't have recovery feature then your file, I believed is dead.