Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
external hard drive

Can I get some suggestions from those who use an external hard drive to store their photos? I am thinking of a 1 tb unit under $100. There are lots of them out there and reviews are very mixed with some units failing within a few months.
Thanks,
Tom

04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

ive always used Western digital HD..no problems in the 10 years Ive used them....I just picked up 2.5" usb 3.0 750 gig for $129 AU....
04-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

First, you have to know the warranty. Some external HDDs have only 1 year warranty. In this case, just buy an internal HDD with 3-year warranty and an external enclosure.

Next, if you really want a portable HDD like 2.5", try to buy one with a power adapter, or at least with a power adapter port. No matter what they claimed the 2.5" external HDD would work on MOST machines, you will find one day your HDD just couldn't be recognized because the USB port on the mainboard cannot provide enough power.

Finally, just don't buy Seagate.
04-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
First, you have to know the warranty. Some external HDDs have only 1 year warranty. In this case, just buy an internal HDD with 3-year warranty and an external enclosure.

Next, if you really want a portable HDD like 2.5", try to buy one with a power adapter, or at least with a power adapter port. No matter what they claimed the 2.5" external HDD would work on MOST machines, you will find one day your HDD just couldn't be recognized because the USB port on the mainboard cannot provide enough power.

Finally, just don't buy Seagate.
Odd, but I've never had a Seagate failure so far. But I've had a few WD Caviar Blue HDDs go tango uniform in the last 3-4 years, and one Maxtor. It seems that in general, as the capacity/density/platter speed has gone up, the reliability has plummeted.

04-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you buy a well known brand then you really don't need to worry too much about the failure rate ... everyone has a story about one brand failing and another running perfectly ... and for the guy down the road it's vice versa. I got fed up trying to follow them all and just bought a couple from name brand offering a special discount. Anyway you should always back up in at least duplicate if not triplicate.

I have important stuff located on my Mac, also backed up to another HD with Time Machine, then all pictures are saved to another separate remote HD and then finally specific shoots are burnt onto CDs !
04-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Odd, but I've never had a Seagate failure so far. But I've had a few WD Caviar Blue HDDs go tango uniform in the last 3-4 years, and one Maxtor. It seems that in general, as the capacity/density/platter speed has gone up, the reliability has plummeted.
Seagate has the highest failure rate but that doesn't mean 100% fail. Once in a while, there are some Seagate HDDS will survive several years.

Personally I have been using two WD 2TB, three Hitachi 2TB, several Hitachi 1TB, and two Samsung 2TB HDDs. I also have some 320GB to 640GB small size Maxtor and Seagate HDDs running in the machines. I'd recommend WD and Hitachi.
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tom,
I'd recommend WD.
I'm using 2 or 3 internal drives and a docking station - very convenient. Or, if you travel a lot, go with one of those small Passport(?) drives.
Good luck.
04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I bought a 500GB Seagate, as did my folks and my brother.. after two years mine is the only one of the three still working, I also have 2 WD 1.5TB drives in enclosures and I barely ever turn on the 500GB Seagate.. the only way I feel comfortable having it is to barely ever turn it on.

04-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Seagate has the highest failure rate but that doesn't mean 100% fail. Once in a while, there are some Seagate HDDS will survive several years.

Personally I have been using two WD 2TB, three Hitachi 2TB, several Hitachi 1TB, and two Samsung 2TB HDDs. I also have some 320GB to 640GB small size Maxtor and Seagate HDDs running in the machines. I'd recommend WD and Hitachi.
metalmania,

care to post a URL to back up your statement about seagate having the highest failure rate?

i was under the impression that WD had higher failure rates (and I have a WD drive that started to make death-clicks pretty soon after purchase and no has bad sectors where data cannot be read). i have several seagates and so far they have been solid.

i *think* i had seen data in "consumer reports" rating the hard drives for problems with seagate ahead of wd.

at any rate, it is a good idea to check the quality of the warranty for your drive. it's also a good idea to have multiple drives. (i have at least 2 copies of my important files). and lastly, you may want to consider the speed of the drive. the small drives that are powered solely by the usb connection will tend to be slower than drives with an external power source such as a wall wart. regarding usb 3.0 technology, make sure you computers can make use of that technology if you are going to pay the extra money for a drive that features 3.0. if your computers can't handle 3.0 then you are throwing your money away.

- sam
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
metalmania,

care to post a URL to back up your statement about seagate having the highest failure rate?

i was under the impression that WD had higher failure rates (and I have a WD drive that started to make death-clicks pretty soon after purchase and no has bad sectors where data cannot be read). i have several seagates and so far they have been solid.

i *think* i had seen data in "consumer reports" rating the hard drives for problems with seagate ahead of wd.

at any rate, it is a good idea to check the quality of the warranty for your drive. it's also a good idea to have multiple drives. (i have at least 2 copies of my important files). and lastly, you may want to consider the speed of the drive. the small drives that are powered solely by the usb connection will tend to be slower than drives with an external power source such as a wall wart. regarding usb 3.0 technology, make sure you computers can make use of that technology if you are going to pay the extra money for a drive that features 3.0. if your computers can't handle 3.0 then you are throwing your money away.

- sam
There are different "definitions" and "opinions" about failure rate. Here is a link: French Retailer Data Offers SSD Failure Rates | News | The Mac Observer

However, it doesn't mean that article is "correct". Seagate made a horrible show on the 7200.11 model. That is the most reported HDD events unfortunately.

If you have a brand HDD failed in your hand, it's 100% rate to you instead of 4% rate to the manufacturer. That's why Seagate cannot win back some users. Maybe someone didn't know that 7200.11 event will become the new Seagate user.

Anyway multiple copies is the way to go. That's why I always buy HDDs in pair. One for use, the other for backup.
04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Also for bulk storage just get a 5400 rpm drive, they build less heat and "should" last longer than their 7200rpm counter parts. The speed difference is minimal if your using it to store photos.
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

After brand, now let's talk about the interface. USB 3.0 sounds good, but still not very compatible. If your motherboard has no 3.0 port, and you install a PCI-E USB 3.0 card, be prepare to meet the headache.

USB 2.0 is basic and old. Slow but get the work done.

eSATA is as fast as USB 3.0 and natively supported in Windows 7. Good? Not exactly. Not all HDDS will work in an eSATA docking station or enclosure. I have several docks and enclosures, it's like WD and Seagate work on this dock but Samsung and Hitachi will not, or whatever.

There is no perfect solution.
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I used to have external hardrive, but because of a crash I bought a NAS server. And I have to say, I am happy I did that. A lot more convenient. Even if you are on the holiday, if you leave it on, you can upload your photo's straight there. It also has two 1T jharddrives, which are mirrored. if one crashes, then I still have anopther one as back-up.
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Also for bulk storage just get a 5400 rpm drive, they build less heat and "should" last longer than their 7200rpm counter parts. The speed difference is minimal if your using it to store photos.
I agree. Just ensure that you get a good quality branded product ans also have an additional online backup storage.
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've got one of these: I'm told it's a very good brand and... Well, it's pretty nicely-made, I think. Looks like they're about 80 bucks atm.

Newegg.com - LaCie Minimus 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 301961