Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
but it's very slow compared to bibble, and it's not as complete.
Complete? LOL
DT provides much more functionality than bibble )

05-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm still on Windows, but over the last five or so have been gradually moving to open source applications and slowly getting to the point where I might be able to make the switch to Linux in the foreseeable future.

Until recently, there were two major things still tying me to Windows: Finale for music scoring, and ACDSee Pro for photo management/processing. After something like 15 years of being married to Finale - a marriage of convenience at best, as I never really *loved* the program - a viable open source replacement for Finale has finally become available: MuseScore. I've already made that switch on Windows.

So now, ACDSee is really the only thing keeping me on Windows. I'm in no hurry to replace it, as I really *do* love this program, but I figure I might as well at least be checking out what my options will be should a switch to Linux seem right for me. But none of the open source photo management / processing programs have seemed ready for prime time yet, and the leading contenders I see on Linux don't run (well) on Windows, so I can't even easily try them out.

From what I can tell, darktable seems to be the consensus here for a good basic "workflow" type of software (integrated management and image processing) in the open source world. digikam got only one mention that I saw, but that seemed to hold most promise to me when I was looking around a year ago. Is there anyone who has experience with both of these that compare them? I'm interest not just in terms of current capabilities, but also, an assessment of the future directions of these projects, and how they might compare with Lightroom / Aperture / ACDSee / Bibble (which are all quite similar).
05-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm still on Windows, but over the last five or so have been gradually moving to open source applications and slowly getting to the point where I might be able to make the switch to Linux in the foreseeable future.

Until recently, there were two major things still tying me to Windows: Finale for music scoring, and ACDSee Pro for photo management/processing. After something like 15 years of being married to Finale - a marriage of convenience at best, as I never really *loved* the program - a viable open source replacement for Finale has finally become available: MuseScore. I've already made that switch on Windows.

So now, ACDSee is really the only thing keeping me on Windows. I'm in no hurry to replace it, as I really *do* love this program, but I figure I might as well at least be checking out what my options will be should a switch to Linux seem right for me. But none of the open source photo management / processing programs have seemed ready for prime time yet, and the leading contenders I see on Linux don't run (well) on Windows, so I can't even easily try them out.

From what I can tell, darktable seems to be the consensus here for a good basic "workflow" type of software (integrated management and image processing) in the open source world. digikam got only one mention that I saw, but that seemed to hold most promise to me when I was looking around a year ago. Is there anyone who has experience with both of these that compare them? I'm interest not just in terms of current capabilities, but also, an assessment of the future directions of these projects, and how they might compare with Lightroom / Aperture / ACDSee / Bibble (which are all quite similar).
IMO you are too late. Lame idiots from Gnome Foundation and stupid M.Shuttlewroth managed to screw the UX completely with their amateurish stuff stolen from iPhone.
05-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Complete? LOL
DT provides much more functionality than bibble )
Much more gizmo's and doohickeys yes. But it's lacking in important core functionality and ease of use. I can't figure out how to show 2-4 or 6 images at the same time, to compare sharpness or other aspects. This is a simple yet vital function in my workflow. There is no support for working with layers. It's quite slow compared to bibble. And the overall workflow is less intuitive. I am biased towards bibble though, since I know it better. I will be monitoring it closely however, since it is the best open source alternative I have tried so far.

05-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
"and the leading contenders I see on Linux don't run (well) on Windows, so I can't even easily try them out."
Give Bibble a try Mark. It's cross platform. It works beautifully on Ubuntu and XP. I did use digikam a couple of times but it seemed to be in too many places at once.
05-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I found this page with very good video tutorials of darktable: The p-Code Machine Darktable 0.7 Screencast Library

Download these if you want to learn, since the text documentation on the homepage is much harder to follow (and boring). I found these videos very informative, and needed, since the DT gui and workflow is a bit geeky/advanced.
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Oh, Bibble I know, and I agree, it's great. But part of my move isn't just Windows to Linux, it's proprietary to open source. And let's be straight about this - it's not just the principle, it's the money.

05-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, Bibble I know, and I agree, it's great. But part of my move isn't just Windows to Linux, it's proprietary to open source. And let's be straight about this - it's not just the principle, it's the money.
I did the same move a while back. I use Digikam for cataloging/captioning/tagging/geotagging/uploading tasks, and darktable for raw conversion. I'm lazy though--I primarily shoot jpeg, and only fall back on raw conversion when I'm not satisfied with the out-of-the-camera result. I'm interested in seeing how Digikam handles raw conversions once version 2.0 makes it to a stable stage; right now I'm using version 1.4.0 since it's stable on my system (Ubuntu 10.10). For my needs, raw conversion in Digikam is OK, but darktable seems to fit the way I think better, and is easier for me to tweak; it also seems more responsive. I'm looking forward to updating Digikam once the 2.0 version hits a non-beta release.
05-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I expected to be an ubuntu 11.04 Unity hater as well but it is growing on me. It is just an interface.
05-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It is just an interface.

I like that approach. You use whatever works best on your machine and allows you to run your favorite apps. I run PCLinuxOS but any flavor of *nix is fine by me.

Did try Darktable and Photivo (both excellent choices) but I'll stick to UFRaw as its batch mode integrates perfectly in my customs built bash scripts. I usually expose right in the camera and know what I want the scripts to do - no need for interactive previews on-screen. However, this IS open source so nobody says you should use only one app, right?
05-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #41

Another vote for Gimp and UFRaw. Some of the faceplates can be a tad bit tricky to use on my low res Net book (pre-installed with Windows XP, but I blitzed it with Ubuntu), but I use them for my photos.
05-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as a "by the way" guys: after having run NeatImage under WINE for so long, the new version 7 comes in native Win, Mac and Linux versions. Slowly but surely programs are becoming more and more cross-platform, their market more diverse. So just by having chosen Linux and Open-Source as your mainstay system, that does not mean anymore that you are entirely cut off from non-free software - best of both worlds, really...
05-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #43

Hi @all, I´m new in this forum and I´m using Linux too. To convert my RAW-Files I use the attached skript as a batch-workflow. To start the skript in Ubuntu you need to install these packages:
apt-get install ufraw-batch imagemagick hugin libimage-exiftool-perl jhead
Use the skript:
- unpack the ZIP-File
- In a terminal:
cd <directory of unpacked file>
./rawConverter.sh pathOfFile/RAW-File1 pathOfFile/RAW-File2 pathOfFile/RAW-FileN
Attached Files
File Type: zip raw.zip (3.1 KB, 39 views)
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
Forum Member

Have you tried running ACDSee under Wine in Linux? It's obviously not an open source solution, but it might mean that you can switch to Linux now, rather than holding off until you find another program
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

+1 newmikey suggestions. I use DCRAW with ImageMagick. Both are (scriptable) command-line utilities.

Problem with GIMP is no 16-bit color support (yet) -- import conversion from 16-bit raw to 8-bit GIMP-usable format loses data!